We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Cornwall

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
North Cornwall

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in North Cornwall? Would preferably like a base with lots to see and do in walking distance and be within easy reach for visits to Padstow & Port Isaac.

Thanks!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Cornwall

Hi G G

What time of year do you intend visiting? If you could let me know then I'd be pleased to make some relevant suggestions.

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Cornwall

Will be visiting in mid July - I'm aware that it will be busy but want good weather! Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Cornwall

Hi again G G

I assume you'd prefer to stay somewhere that's close to the water/beach and as you need to be close to Padstow and Port Isaace, how about looking at one of the smaller places along the coastline northeast of Newquay? You have several little places all of which have great beaches such as Porth, Mawgan Porth, Harlyn and Polzeath, all within a 30 min drive of Port Isaac. There's lots of walking possibilities and places of interest including Bedruthan Steps, The Nine Maidens stones, St Breock Downs monolith and more.

If you like cycling, there's the Camel Trail - this follows the course of the old branch line from Padstow to Bodmin and passes through some lovely wooded countryside. Bikes can be hired at Padstow, Wadebridge and Bodmin.

Of course, the North Cornwall Coastal Path enables you to enjoy the entire coastline.most of it with great views. If you did want to venture out onto Bodmin Moor, the list becomes endless - there's the Jamaica Inn at Bolventor, The Hurlers stone circles at Minions, Trevethy Quoit near Tremar, beautiful woodland walks at Golitha Falls between St Cleer and St Neot, Wesley's cottage at Trewint.

I'd suggest you invest in an Ordnance Survey Explorer map of the area which will show clearly all footpaths, bridleways, etc.

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Cornwall

Thanks GB I'll have a look at your recommendations - much appreciated! ;O)

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Cornwall

Hi GB just wondered if you could give some further advice? Want to stay around the Padstow area for 3 nights - would you recommend staying in Post Isaac, Polzeath, Padstow or Rock?

IF there is good transport links to & from Padstow from these areas are any of them worth considering?

Thanks ;O)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Cornwall

Hi again G G

If it were my choice, I 'd definately want to stay in Port Isaac - it's so pretty and I suppose everyone's idea of a typical Cornish fishing village. I wouldn't want to stay in Rock - it's become the hooray henry capital of Cornwall now with prices to match.

Western National runs services from Bude to Newquay every day including Sundays which calls in at Boscastle, Tintagel, Port Isaac, Trelights, Polzeath, Rock, Wadebridge and Padstow so getting around should be a doddle.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Cornwall

There is a foot ferry between Rock and Padstow so a day trip if you're staying on the Rock side is OK. I don't think it goes very late.

Buses do run to these areas but you're looking at 1 an hour at best and I can't find one direct from Bude to Padstow. Change in Wadebridge is needed (Western Greyhound at the moment!)

England
Level Contributor
82 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Cornwall

You guys are brilliant thanks so much for your help - looks like Port Isaac it is then!

:O)

9. Re: North Cornwall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2007, 02:17
Carcassonne, France
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Cornwall

Gooner girl

You wont do any better than Port Issac, I live a few mles away , its stunning. Couple of places I recommend to eat are "The Edge" just on the outside of the village with great views over looking the sea. great food and run by friendly nice people, good for day or night time.

Or if your in Tintagle the cafe behind the Deli shop has great lunch time food and nice people,

If you get the chance to see the film "Saving Grace" (martin clunes) before you come do, it will set you up for the visit as its all filmed around and in port issac. plus it is a very funny film . I hope you enjoy your stay and the sun shines on you