We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel close to Cathedral?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
114 reviews
Hotel close to Cathedral?

Three of us will be in Chester 27June for one night to see the Mystery Play at the cathedral, and I am looking for a budget hotel option close by. The city centre Premier Inn gets great reviews, but I can't work out how far it is - one of us has mobility problems, but would be fine with a 10 minute walk so long as no hills involved.

If not the Premier Inn, any other suggestions in a similar price range?

Many thanks

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

Was in Chester 2 weeks ago and stayed in the Travelodge in Delamere Street which was only about 10 minutes walk away. For one night it was perfectly adequate. For breakfast the following morning we went to Cafe Gate opposite the library. Fantastic!

England
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
1 review
2. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

Premier Inn on City Road is well within walking distance, no hills, no inclines. Google map suggest 1/2 mile to the cathedral, very doable.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

Thanks for your replies, both sound fine for us.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

You couldn't get closer than the Coach House in Northgate Street if they have availability and suit your budget. Across the square from the cathedral

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

City Road may be too far for someone with walking difficulties - it would definitely be too much for my hubby, anyway.

England
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
1 review
6. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

You also have the Travel lodge in St John street, the rates for there and Premier Inn, are (if available) approx half the price of the Coach House, not sure how fixed your budget is. How are you travelling, is car parking involved ?

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
114 reviews
7. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have reserved a triple room at the Coach House, got a decent price for bed and breakfast, the proximity to the Cathedral is ideal for us, and the reviews are mostly good. We will park at the multi-storey behind the hotel, I understand that it's free after 3.00 pm til 7.00 the next morning, which means we will only have to pay for a few hours while we do a bit of sightseeing before we leave Chester early pm.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
823 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

parkopedia.mobi/parking/…

Link to prices for the car park, you may want to move your car in the morning.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
114 reviews
9. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

Thanks so much - very helpful!

England
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
1 review
10. Re: Hotel close to Cathedral?

Not sure how the fees work when you park after 3pm. Whether you can pay an amount that takes you into the next day,and a ticket is issued to state that. Otherwise you will have to be out there at 7 am to pay for ticket for that day, and then you will have to calculate how long you are staying in town.

Get answers to your questions about Chester
Recent Conversations