We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations please

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations please

Hi

My partner and I are visiting Chester next month for a weekend break and I have seen what looks to be some really nice eating places but to be honest we aren't really into the nouvelle cuisine and fancy things and prefer the traditional home cooked style. So if you can recommend a nice pub or restaurant that does proper home cooked food then please let me know.

thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations please

If you want to stay in the city the one that makes the biggest claim to be no frills honest food is the Albion on Park Street by the walls not far from the amphitheatre. You could also try places like the Bear and Billet, Commercial Hotel, The Coach and Horses or the Red House by the river.

I have never eaten in any of these so cannot vouch for the food but they are a few suggestions to get you started

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations please

The Bear & Billet and the Brewery Tap on Lower Bridge Street both serve food.

From what I have observed the food at the Brewery Tap looks and smells amazing. In fact I've promised myself that next time I visit Chester and go to the Brewery Tap I'll get a meal there instead of the usual "couple" of pints of real ale that I always have ! ;-p

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations please

you could also try the Coachhouse in Town Hall Square, local produce, traditinal stuff, good place. Joseph Benjamine further up Northgate Street also does local produce, maybe look at the menu on line to see if it is your kind of place.

No danger of going hungry in Chester...

Chester
Level Contributor
171 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations please

Bear and Billet is fantastic on lower bridge st, one of my fav places to go in Chester. Real ale and proper food, can't beat it.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations please

Commercial no longer does food. As for Bear & Billet, good for real ale but not good for food.

chester
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations please

The Boat House, on the river, has recently been done up and sells lovely no nonsense meals. Also blue moon cafe on the river is a very quirky place to eat.

Watergates down watergate street is a fabulous place to eat also.

As is Havanas, also down watergate street.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations please

if you enjoy microwaved and ready meals then yes go with marianm2001 choices, if however you want proper freshly cooked food then ignore them.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations please

I wouldn't rush back to the Boathouse after my visit the other week. Blue Moon is a genuine place, only open in the evening Thursday Friday Saturday. The places inWatergate Street are more bars for the young.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations please

We have had several great meals at Hickorys by the river. Need to reserve though as it is so popular. Unless the boathouse has changed dramatically I would not set foot in there.

Chester
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations please

I would agree with your comments, not sure why those recommendations have been made to the original OP

Get answers to your questions about Chester