We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High tea cambridge

Prth
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
High tea cambridge

Wanting to buy a gift voucher for high tea somewhere nice in cambridge near the university if possible (my sister is staying there) - are the ides posted in 2009 still good places? Any ideas welcome....

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High tea cambridge

High tea? Do you mean aftrnoon tea?

Prth
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High tea cambridge

Perhaps I do - we refer to an extra special afternoon tea as high tea in Australia and I notice that some of your large hotels do too, but perhaps thats not what its known as in Cambridge....

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High tea cambridge

Hi,

Harriets Tea room have opened up on King Street, they do offer afternoon tea, although several other places do like m&S, Michaelhouse cafe, and possibly Bennet's, but the major hotels such as the University Arms, Hotel Du Vin, Crowne Plaza should do to.

I can look into this in more detail if you have an idea of where you want to go in tems of area as Cambridge is a decent size city.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High tea cambridge

The University is spread out over a very large area..In the centre of town opposite Kings College try Aunties Tea Room or the Copper Kettle

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High tea cambridge

Copper Kettle I think went a little upmarket when it was refurbished, haven't been back in a while, there is Savino's almost next to Abbey on St Andrews Street, their cakes are absoutely wonderful in fact one of my main places for morning coffee these days.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High tea cambridge

I get the impression you want something a bit more special.... so I would WITHOUT A DOUBT recommend Hotel du Vin

hotelduvin.com/media/1584448/hdv_afternoonte…

Or Hotel Felix

hotelfelix.co.uk/graffiti-restaurant-cambrid…

ANd also the Doubletree

http://www.doubletreecambridge.com/eating

Hotel du Vin is my fave though... very plush, fab service. The gift vouchers come in a beautiful presentation box. I like the G&Tea one! :)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High tea cambridge

note...some of the places stated above are more like cafes rather than plush tea rooms (nice, but not plush like I think y.ou want)

Savinos does serve amazing coffee though! But is the type of place you nip in after a day of shopping!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High tea cambridge

If your sis is happy to drive a bit out of town, I highly recommend The Swan at Lavenham. Quintessentially English village just over the border into. Totally idyllic - took my other half for his bday last year - wonderful, wonderful1

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High tea cambridge

Hotel Felix is a litle out of town I would have thought. and Lavenham definetly is

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High tea cambridge

" Perhaps I do - we refer to an extra special afternoon tea as high tea in Australia and I notice that some of your large hotels do too, but perhaps thats not what its known as in Cambridge...."

High tea (or just tea, as it was known when i was a kid), was more of a proper meal (now called dinner, as we're all american now):-)