We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Huntingdon

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow to Huntingdon

I need to travel from Heathrow to Huntingdon, and I am not sure how difficult the train will be with luggage. The only coach option seems to be at 3:10 pm, and takes hours. Suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

Personally I'd take the train, but as to how hard it will be with luggage it depends on what you're comfortable with.

It's a relatively easy train journey (one change) - Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to London King's Cross, and a First Capital Connect rail service from there. The Picc line tube trains have space for bags (near the doors) and as Heathrow is the end of the line and people getting on there are getting on to an empty train, it's not too hard. Then the FCC trains have substantial luggage racks at both ends of each carriage, as well as overhead luggage racks. In general at the transfer points you're going up and down escalators, although I'm not familiar enough with the current layout at King's Cross (it has been substantially remodelled recently) to know if there are any steps to negotiate.

The alternative is probably a coach to Cambridge- I think these go hourly - and a local bus from Cambridge to Huntingdon. Again this service is quite frequent, and it departs from the same bus station the Cambridge airport coach stops at

The train will be quicker for this journey

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

Check out taxi companies in Huntingdon itself. Many will do an airport run for a price that for two or more won't be anymore than the cost of any other method of transport

http://huntingdontravel.co.uk/ does it for £85 - NOT that I'm recommending it, just giving an example. But check that it is a Huntingdon company whose phone number will begin "01480" as they'll know where you are heading to.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,372 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

I have travelled Kings Cross - Cambridge several times recently. There are no steps, but you must keep to the left through the first station area, then take to your left through a signed path to reach the platforms for the Cambridge trains.

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

Thanks, that was helpful! It's a long flight for me, so I would like to reach my destination as quickly as possible!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

The National Express coach takes 4 hours 45 minutes, but you won't have to handle your luggage at all. There is usually a toilet on the coach.

If you are worried about your luggage you will want to avoid travelling by the underground from Heathrow to London rail terminals. The journey is full of escalators and stairs.

If you don't mind a bit of luggage handling and no stairs or escalators, train is the best option. You can get the Paddington Flyer from Heathrow to Paddington Station. Runs every 20 minutes and costs £18. Try to buy a ticket that takes you through to Huntingdon. From Paddington you could take a taxi to Kings Cross (or brave the tube). From Kings Cross there are two trains an hour to Huntingdon, costing £21. The journey takes 58 minutes. Infuriatingly the departure platforms at KIngs Cross vary a lot, and there is a considerable walk from the main concourse to platforms 9-11 where the Huntingdon trains often, but not always, leave from. Not too much problem if you have luggage on wheels and don't mind a short walk of a couple of hundred yards.

Good luck!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

"Paddington Flyer "

It's Heathrow Express - but by the time you faff around at Paddington to get the Tube to Kings Cross you won't save much time - and will have spent substantially more - than taking the direct Tube to KX from LHR. And if you do this before 9:30am you will also be contending with tens of thousands of commuters at Paddington

BTW the coach to Cambridge from LHR takes less than 3 hours, not 4h30m and drops you at a point where you can get a bus to Huntingdon

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

National Express web site shows 4 hours and 45 minutes from Heathrow to Huntingdon.

The Heathrow Express is never that crowded as it is expensive and not used by commuters.

If you are worried about luggage you should avoid the tube, even though it is an easy way to get from Heathrow into central London. Note though that it is usually pretty crowded at any time of day, but during rush hours it is packed and very tricky with luggage.

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

Thanks! The 4 plus hours seemed extraordinary given the distance!

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

I should be traveling mid-day. I'm thinking I can manage if I take one rolling bag and a tote?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Huntingdon

I agree with Alan

I wouldn't take the Heathrow Express, partly because of cost, partly because it's rarely any quicker, and partly because you then have two changes to contend with, at Paddington and KX - and the Paddington one is lengthy. Unless you take a taxi, but by the time you've forked out for the HEX and a black cab on top of your train fare, you're probably heading rapidly towards a booked car service level of cost which is a ton less hassle than any sort of public transport

I don't agree that the Picc line is a big hassle with luggage, you're getting on at the end of the line so there is (almost) always space.

And certainly with that amount of luggage, and the time of day suggested, I don't think the Picc Line/train will be a difficult journey at all; take the train