We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

international drivers license needed

MA
Level Contributor
61 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
international drivers license needed

Hi, travelling with US drivers license, is an international one needed? thanks

31 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: international drivers license needed

Are you planning on driving?

Short answer, no not required if your licence is in English

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: international drivers license needed

Not needed in the UK. Having an International Driver's PERMIT (not licence) is a requirement imposed by some (not all) hire car companies if your licence does not have wording in English, but not otherwise. It's not a legal requirement and you can use a foreign licence for up to 12 months (but you need to be over the legal age to drive, which is currently 17).

Edited: 15 July 2018, 02:56
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: international drivers license needed

Please disregard previous advice as totally wrong.

Most, if not all, car hiring companies have a demand for IDP ( Inernational Driving Permit ) in their T&C.

Yesterday, whilst picking up a hired car from Europcar Manchester Airport, was a second time in great many years, that I was actually asked to show my IDP. My Israeli driving license are in English, with holograms, etc - Brits haven't even seen yet.

Again, they didn't have a car I booked, ready for me, and tried to fail me. Since they've failed, instead of Vauxhall Insignia/Volkswagen Passat - I've initially booked, I've received a very nice upgrade to Mercedes GLA 200d. Very nice SUV car by all means.

It'll cost you only a few dollars to get the IDP. Do get them, even if just for your peace of mind.

Yuri.

MA
Level Contributor
61 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: international drivers license needed

thanks all,

I have only used an international driving permit once, in Italy 15 years ago The hassle at an overnight flight from the US might not be worth trying to save a few bucks.

I did however, find this "official site" that indicated I did not need one. https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

But since I plan to exchange some currency before the trip at the local AAA, I might as well go for it.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,662 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: international drivers license needed

Ignore post 3, you do not need an IDP if your licence is in English.

I know of loads of Americans who come here and drive a rental car on their US licence

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,998 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: international drivers license needed

Post #4 - that is “the” UK Government site and you read it right. You do not need one by law, as Yuri says some trental Companies might seek an IDP if your licence is not printed in English. If you have a US licence you will be fine.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: international drivers license needed

Seems like Yuri had an unfortunate experience. As he said, his problem may have been that his Israeli licence has things on it that "Brits haven't even seen yet."

No-one's going to bat an eyelid at a US licence. The statement that "Most, if not all, car hiring companies have a demand for IDP ( Inernational Driving Permit ) in their T&C" is untrue, unless the licence doesn't have English wording (at least in the UK).

Edited: 15 July 2018, 04:43
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: international drivers license needed

Guys, first time I was asked for the IDP was at Sixt Heathrow, a few years ago. My Israeli driving license was exactly like the British one then. It was same situation: a car not ready - a clerk trying to fail me.

The holographic photo, etc - are new to me too. I've renewed my driving license lately. The licence is also in English, and of very same format as the standard European one.

No British policeman, if you'll ever interact one, will ask you to produce your IDP. Only the car rental companies are after it.

Yuri.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: international drivers license needed

Yuri: Sixt terms and conditions (in the UK) clearly state that an IDP is only required if the license is printed in the non-Roman alphabet. Even licences in foreign languages don’t require an IDP in they use the Roman alphabet (French, Italian, Spanish etc).

>>>EU Driving Licences

Valid driving licences of all other EU countries are accepted in the UK without further preconditions.

All Other Licences

Driving Licences printed with non-Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Japanese, and Cyrillic) must be accompanied by a valid International Driving Permit. For Chinese driving licences, no International Driving Permit is required, however you must provide a valid translation form for the licence (available from the Sixt China Customer Service by contacting cs@sixt.cn)<<<

https:/…

Other mainstream hire companies have the same or similar conditions.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: international drivers license needed

“Most, if not all, car hiring companies have a demand for IDP ( Inernational Driving Permit ) in their T&C.”

A quick read of the T&C of hire companies will show that the above is incorrect.

Reply to: international drivers license needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bristol
Recent Conversations