We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
841 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

First, thanks so much to everyone on this forum who has helped us plan our trip. We leave next Sunday and have booked accommodations every night except one and would appreciate some more of your help.

We will be traveling from Port Isaac to London Heathrow, where we will spend the night before our flight home. On the way, we would love to show our friends the Cotswolds and Oxford. I imagine that we will leave Port Isaac early in the a.m.. Not sure of the drive time from there to the Cotswolds, but we should have at least a few hours of daylight that day to sight see, then spend the night and have a full day the next to see Oxford. Could you recommend a good place (i.e., area to stay). Would Oxford itself be practicable given that we will have a car? Or is there a nice town with a sufficient number of guest houses from which we can take public transportation into Oxford?

Thanks.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

The apparently obvious answer is Woodstock, which is about three miles east (ie outside) of the Cotswold AONB boundary on the road to Oxford. Buses into Oxford are every 30 mins, and take 30 mins.

Nowhere actually inside the Cotswolds has public transport into Oxford that frequent: only Charlbury (with limited accommodation, but sufficiently unvisited by tourists for either The Bell or The Bull possibly to have rooms available) inside the Cotswolds has faster public transport (15 mins by hourly train). But both work, and both have a pretty, country, feel to them. Nowhere else outside Oxford, driving from Cornwall, has frequent enough public transport for you to get into and out again the following day in time to get to Heathrow.

However, there are a number of OKish places inside the Oxford boundary but north of its aggressive parking controls, which meet your timescale better, though possibly not your budget.

Clustered round Banbury Road, three good examples are Linton Lodge, Cotswold Lodge and The Old Parsonage, though others may have alternative suggestions. They're all within comfortable walking distance of the historic centre for most people, have good parking, and don't feel grotty or like the Legoland chain boxes further north. Any closer to the centre and parking gets a problem, so you have to use the Park & Rides, which are pretty much as painful to organise for your purposes as Woodstock.

About 75 mins drive to Heathrow from the north Oxford suggestions: 10 mins longer from Woodstock and a further 10 mins longer from Charlbury. Longer at rush hours.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
841 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

Flanneruk, great information. Thanks so much. I will check out the three places round Banbury Road and hope they are not too expensive. We will actually be returning to Heathrow the night before our flight so will have the option of waiting until after the traffic has died down. With only a 75-minute travel time, that will give us at least one full day in Oxford.

Thanks again.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
841 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

Thank you again for your reply because in checking the three places clustered round the Banbury Road, I found that two are booked the night we will be there and the other is a bit pricey. The two in Charlbury look charming. I've sentt he links to the friends we will be traveling with to get their opinion, but I like the idea of staying in a small place like Charlbury.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

If you drive into Oxford for the day use one of the Park and Ride facilities.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

You could consider a B & B. One at the top of the list on this site is Cornerways and it gets great reviews. It is on the Abingdon Road within walking distance of the city centre or a short bus ride.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
841 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

Thanks so much for the tip. Cornerways looks interesting, especially the location. I've sent then an inquiry. I'm also looking into t=tThe Bell in Charlbury; it looks charming.

7. Re: Good Stopping Off Point Near Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:12