We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in England

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
213 posts
261 reviews
Hiking in England

I´ll spend 12 days in London with my teenager children. I want spend at least 4 days in some small town doing some hiking. I´d love to see castles,animals, forests, maybe snow and so. I was wondering which place should i go to have that. Maybe omething like El Chalten in patagonia, Argentina, whee you stay in the town and just leave for the trails. thank you.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,787 Reviews
from US$ 120.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,290 Reviews
from US$ 110.50*
US$ 122.70
16 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,734 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Hiking in England

What time of year is your visit?

Snow is rare and often confined to Hill tops in remote areas over 2-3 winter months and these places are for well equipped and experienced hikers.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Hiking in England

Try Buxton in the peak District.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Hiking in England

Castles , forests , animals maybe the sea

Accomodation close to scenery but not too remote from restaurants etc

Try North Wales

Llandudno Junction on main line from London

Conwy for Conwy Castle

Llandudno

Betws-y-Coed

OK it’s not England I know but don’t limit your choices

Edited: 23 October 2018, 02:33
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Hiking in England

Both Brockenhurst, in the New Forest (Hampshire) and Wareham, in Dorset, have extensive and beautiful walking nearby and are pretty towns in their own right with good rail connections to London.

Brockenhurst is a small town in the heart of the New Forest where ponies wander around the edge of town. There are spectacular forest walks (including the Rhinefield trail, which has stands of redwood pines); and also has access to Keyhaven and the sea fort of Hurst Castle, on a long shingle spit overlooking the Isle of Wight.

Wareham is on the western side of Poole Harbour. There are fantastic walks in the Purbeck Hills nearby, the ruins of Corfe Castle, and bird and nature reserves on the Arne Peninsula (deer, sometimes otters and seals) and Brownsea Island (via a ferry).

You can also access some of the most spectacular coast walks in the UK from the town; the beaches of Studland, the chalk stacks at Old Harry Rocks, and the natural arch at Durdle Door, and nearby Lulworth Cove.

I'm not sure we can do snow though ... we don't do hypothermia down in the south of England!

Essex
Level Contributor
31,851 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Hiking in England

Ingleton, Yorkshire.

Castleton, Peak District

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Hiking in England

Perhaps visit when there is a walking festival?

www.walksaroundbritain.co.uk/walkingfestivals

There is a national organisation Welcome to Walkers, which individual towns join. The commitment is very variable, but it is an indication of some local organisation. Here in the Cotswolds Winchcombe is the best known, with various initiatives and a wealth of information about the numerous national trails which converge on the town.

https://walkersarewelcome.org.uk/

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Hiking in England

You haven't mentioned hiring a car, which is often needed for flexibility in rural areas ( though I now do everything by public transport myself).

All the suggestions so far are good, and I think most work without a car.

Here's another one: The Shropshire Hills on the England/Wales border.

http://www.shropshirehillsaonb.co.uk

Stay in either Ludlow, a delightful small market town with ancient castle, and with a reputation for good food, or Church Stretton, a much smaller place, where you can literally start some significant hill walking (CardingMill Valley and the Long Mynd) from stepping off the train in the centre of the village.

Both these places are on the rail line, about 17 mins apart.

There's another historic delight, a fortified medieval Manor House not far away, Stokesay Castle , near Craven Arms. Bus goes right past it, or you need to walk about a mile from the rail station at Craven Arms. Some small places like this are closed in winter. When is this trip?

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
213 posts
261 reviews
8. Re: Hiking in England

Hello, thank you for your suggestions! My trip is going to be from february 10th to 23th, and i´m thinking about spend at least 4 days - maybe from 18 to 21...

I´ll do a search for all the places you mentioned - I´ve already read about Brockenhurst and New Forest, but thought the hotels around were too expensive. But I´m considering it.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
213 posts
261 reviews
9. Re: Hiking in England

And, no I´ll not rent a car.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Hiking in England

You might find The New Forest slightly disappointing if you’re thinking of “forest” in its modern meaning. Quite a bit of the land is heathland and the area is relatively flat.

Another vote for Shropshire, but staying in Bishops Castle which has one of those walking festivals mentioned and some great places to stay. You’ll do long walks rather than very high ones.

Mike

Reply to: Hiking in England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted