We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary For early July

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary For early July

Hello! we will be visiting England early July. 2 adults, 2 kids ages 8 & 10 and MIL age 60s. Love nature and history. Below is what I have tentatively and would love your feedback!

Day 1 - Arrive late morning, Pick up rental car. Drive to Salisbury via Winchester, Stay in Salisbury

Day 2 - Drive to Bath via Stonehenge, Glastonbury, Wells. Night in Bath

Day 3 - All day Bath. Night in Bath

Day 4 - Cotswold

Day 5 - Cotswold

Day 6 - Blenheim Palace & Oxford. Night in Windsor (?)

Day 7 - Windsor castle & WB Studio Tour (have not booked tour yet. Is this do-able in one day?) Night in Windsor(?)

Day 8 - Day trip to Canterbury, Dover & return rental car. Night in London

Day 9 - London

Day 10 - London

Day 11 - London

Day 12 - London

Day 13 - Fly back mid day

I am hoping that we can do Harry Potter tour (son is a big fan!) and Windsor castle in a day while we still have the car. Planning to return the car after the Canterbury day trip.

I would have loved to do York or Cornwall or Lake District as well but wondering if that would be too much. Should I cut down a day in London & spend a night in Cornwall before the 2 nights in Bath?Any help/ advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary For early July

Flip your itinerary

<1 - Arrive late morning, Pick up rental car. Drive to Salisbury via Winchester, Stay in Salisbury>

Not a good idea to do this off a Transatlantic flight, if that’s what you are doing

Days 1-8 are a nightmare

Too many accommodations

7? In 9 nights ouch!

Edited: 12 June 2018, 09:21
New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary For early July

WB tour, have you checked availability? Usually sold out months in advance

Maybe July 2019?

Edited: 12 June 2018, 09:24
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,802 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary For early July

Flipping your itinerary is a great idea. No need for a car.

You can easily get to Oxford, Bath, Windsor, Salisbury, Winchester, Canterbury, Dover all by train from London as day trips, so you would not need to keep packing and unpacking.

See this article for details on the length of trips, and what stations to use.

https:/…Day.Trips.Out.Of.London.html

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary For early July

Hi Charlie2109, the way I have it is 2 nights in Bath, 2 nights in Cotswold & 2 nights in Windsor. The first day we are breaking in Salisbury so that we are not spending too much time on the road. I have 5 accommodations for the entire trip.

Will check the studio tour now, thanks for the heads up.

Hi LauraRW, flipping the itinerary is definitely possible. Packing & moving once every two days is easier for my family than doing day trips, as it’s harder to get everyone up & out at an early hour. Staying closer to the area allows us to enjoy the location while also not sacrificing on sleep. I also would like to spend some time in Cotswold. I can also cut out a night in London and add to Cotswold if that is more doable.

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary For early July

@charlie2109 thank you for your pointer on the studio tour tickets, was able to get them for the early half of the trip. So will definitely be flipping the itinerary now.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary For early July

Have you booked your accommodation yet.

You are looking for accommodation for 5 at a fairly busy time of year so that needs to be done ASAP.

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary For early July

Hi Nelson, I am hoping to finalize the itinerary quickly, so I can arrange accommodations!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary For early July

<<would have loved to do York or Cornwall or Lake District as well>>

In your limited time, forget all those three places. And definitely abandon that idea of a night in Cornwall.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
161 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary For early July

My family was in England for a visit last month, and we took a very similar approach to the beginning of our trip (i.e. picking up our car upon arrival and driving to Salisbury via Winchester). It worked out wonderfully, and I would highly recommend it. There are many on this forum who seem to violently oppose anyone from out of the country driving in England (especially on their day of arrival), but I would encourage you to do what works best for you and whatever you feel comfortable with. Rental cars are typically not expensive, and they give you the ability to visit smaller locations and the countryside at your own pace and with greater flexibility. Some may prefer taking the train to every location (assuming their itinerary would even allow this), but those comfortable driving should do it.

I should also mention that Winchester is an overlooked stopover and is easy to reach from Heathrow. The park and ride system allows you to park for a nominal amount and then take a free bus the short distance into town (you retain half of the parking pass and show it to the bus driver). We parked at the St. Catherine's lot, which is easy to access from the highway. We enjoyed walking around the town a bit, eating at Forte Kitchen (outstanding breakfast), and visiting the Great Hall and the cathedral. Make sure to check out the Winchester Bible while you are there.

If you were not doing the Canterbury/Dover portion of this itinerary, I would recommend staying over in Oxford on the day you are there. There is lots of see/do in Oxford, and you likely won't see much of it with this plan. Regardless of whether you stay over there, you could also drop your car in Oxford and take the one hour train trip to London (which is something we have done in the past). Windsor and H.P. Studios are within close proximity to London and could be visited on two separate days as half-day trips.

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary For early July

@CWB71, traveling the day off has not been an issue for us in the past and completely agree with you.I frankly would have preferred to spend the last leg of the trip in London.

Anyway as mentioned in a previous post, having to change plans due to the Harry Potter tour. This is what I am thinking now.

Tue - Arrive, London

Wed - London

Thur - London

Fri - London

Sat - London, WB Tour at 15:30

Sun - Train to Oxford, Night in Oxford

Mon - Rent Car in Oxford, Blenheim Palace, Cotswold

Tue - Cotswold

Wed - Cotswold

Thur - Bath, all day Bath

Fri - Bath (tentative day trip to Glastonbury Tor & Wells from Bath)

Sat - Salisbury, Winchester & Stonehenge, London, return car

Sun - London

Mon - Depart

Reply to: Itinerary For early July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted