We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit weatherwise

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit weatherwise

We are hoping to visit the UK in 2013. I understand there is never a guarantee with the weather :-) but wondered if August is reasonable. We plan to spend 5 weeks travelling around and hope to get to the Lake District and perhaps even further afield. When are the school holidays? If we choose August is this regarded as the height of the tourist season? Any advice would be appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

August weather is as changeable as at other times of year. The days will be growing shorter, and the further north you travel the more likely you are to experience the first faint hints of autumn in the evenings or early mornings.

It's a month for family holidays, not only for those in the UK but from overseas; a great many people may be on the move. With the last Bank Holiday of summer at the end of August and schools starting up very shortly thereafter people will want to make the most of that last bit of sunshine (fingers crossed) or leisure time.

If August is when you will have holiday time off then that's when you'll have to travel and make the most of your time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

Thank you for your helpful reply TravellerPlus.

With the consideration of family holidays in August I think we may just avoid that month. Fortunately we can travel at almost any time and aren't limited to August. I'm looking for information and guidance on what might be the best time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

You're welcome.

If you can travel at any time (lucky you!) then consider May or September. Days are lengthening in May, there aren't quite as many visitors as in July or August, and there is always the chance of a stretch of warm, mild days.

September will see the days drawing in, but if it's sunny and clear the change to autumn can be quite appealing (I like it).

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

The country is appealing at any time of year.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

June has the longest evenings, less crowds and the Lakes are lovely then.

Evening strolls along the lanes, around the Lake. This is the month when you have a better chance of warm evenings

There is a bit more character to the Lakes IMHO in September. You can get clearer air for those views, the foliage is starting to change colour later in the month. Darker nights, cosy evenings in the pub with perhaps a log fire?

Come any time and you will enjoy it

Even when it is at its busiest, if you are prepared to get off the beaten track you will find solitude for an hour or two, just walking or sitting enjoying the view.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 12:02
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

Hi again

If you are coming in May or June then there are Bank Holidays on 7 th May and 5th and 6th June

The roads will be busy and accomodation can be booked up in the tourist areas.

Try to avoid travelling on these days if you can

Also don't forget our wonderful seaside , again anytime .

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

>>>>If you are coming in May or June then there are Bank Holidays on 7 th May and 5th and 6th June

That is THIS year (2012).

They are talking about next year (2013)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,171 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

In 2011 we had:

25C in late April.

Days in July and August where it didn't exceed 16C

30C in early October.

18C in mid-November.

Just to give you an idea ......

Edited: 13 April 2012, 15:48
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

Why does the weather matter?

I can't imagine you're coming to sunbathe - and some of the things we're best at (like gardens, or providing tens of thousands of miles of free-access country footpaths) are at their ghastliest when the weather's hot (absolutely NOT synonymous with "nice" . Nice weather is what we typically get in May and September.)

London's not just horrid then (the good news is that tropical weather usually has the decency to stay where it's wanted: the bad news is that when it dumps itself on ust we've got no a/c to deal with it), but its excellences (like theatre, opera and public music) are at their absolute dullest because we're all away, much of central London's temporarily handed over to undiscriminating tourists, and the performers find better things to do.

Unless you've got some odd interest that's climate-linked, weather is more or less a non-issue - and is unpredictable anyway. There ARE times that suit some interests better than others.

But you don't mention yours...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit weatherwise

You have all been most kind to take the time to reply to my posting - thank you.

Obviously we aren't coming to sunbathe :-/ so we aren't looking for hot weather, preferably dry weather however we'll just have to take it as it comes and enjoy whatever the climate gods provide. We feel that June into early July might work best for us. I've checked and see that the Bank holidays for 2013 are at the end of May which leaves June clear (thanks for the warning leuca).

I will no doubt be posting LOTS of queries along the way so I hope you'll be as helpful with the next batch of questions.