We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake district??

lake district??

i fancied a visit to the lake district but was put off by a person who had lived there for 30yrs. Apparently the locals are not at all (genuinely) friendly and are quite 'different' to other areas. When i pressed them, i was told that due to the reputation of the lake district and income received from tourism, the crime figures are hugely 'massaged', and in towns like Penrith, the police will not act on some reported crime as it would not be favourable to the towns image. i was told that several serious crimes were deliberately not pursued due to the impact this may have to the towns reputation. i was then told that they couldnt say any more due to possible repurcussions. i think ill give penrith a miss, i personally like a genuine friendliness and a police force that likes to protect the public more than its image! ha ha

7 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: lake district??

Sounds like idle gossip - ignore it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,129 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: lake district??

It sounds like paranoia and silliness, but if you want to believe it then feel free, it’s a matter for you. What kind of ‘genuine friendliness ‘ are you seeking in a few days away? How can you tell if they are genuine or not?

I don’t believe for a moment that the barman in a pub I might visit on holiday is genuinely pleased to see me. If he serves up my G&T properly and doesn’t overcharge me that’s fine, what else would you need?

Level Contributor
3,956 posts
100 reviews
3. Re: lake district??

I smell a troll.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
1 review
4. Re: lake district??

Sounds like the same as any number of attention-seeking trolls who say the same about various places. They just get a kick out of upsetting people.

Penrith is a very safe town and not even in the Lake District. Jog on.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: lake district??

I wouldn't personally consider Penrith as part of the Lake District per se (sorry Penrithians). It's a northern town that has the same struggles with employment opportunities and deprivation as many others. I have to say, every community is different, and whilst traditionally the north of England is more friendly than the south, it's as much a consequence of number of people / strangers as it is of people's attitudes. You can find the same in many places with lots of second houses / holiday homes where people also aren't genuinely trying to involve themselves in the community. I am certainly more put off by the reputation Keswick seems to have got for stag dos than by 'faux' friendliness of bar staff!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
217 reviews
6. Re: lake district??

Frankly I don't recognise the description of the Lake District where I’ve spent several happy holidays. Maybe the person who lived there for 30 years and “couldn't say any more due to possible repercussions” is part of the problem? Sounds like something a gang member would say.

I do wonder though why, if it’s so awful, they haven’t moved or at least sought police protection. I wonder too at the purpose of the OP. It’s not asking questions or seeking advice.

Edited: 03 October 2018, 23:13
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: lake district??

Don’t feed the troll !!!

Reply to: lake district??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted