We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK trip in November

2 posts
UK trip in November

Hi

First time planning on traveling solo from US to UK for 3 week trip in November.I never visited UK before.what top places you recommend me to visit in short time?

17 replies to this topic
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1. Re: UK trip in November

Mary, help us to help you! We are not travel agents and cannot guess your interests.

Many rural attractions such as stately homes and castles will be closed or have limited opening hours in November.

Is this trip for November 2018 and you have no plans or accommodation?

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: UK trip in November

Mary

Welcome to the forum.

To help you we need a little bit more info - your rough age (i.e are you in 20's or 60's as different ages are likely to want different things)

Are you looking to travel by public transport / tours or are you confident to travel on UK busy roads by car and navigate etc?

What are your interests?

When looking at where to go remember the weather and the amount of daylight in the winter months.

I'm going to give you a link to a UK coach company that does touring holidays. I've no idea how good they are etc but it will give you an idea of the places you could see touring the UK.

https://www.leger.co.uk/uk

I've specifically given a UK coach company as some companies targeting the US market tend to fit in too much in one tour which means you only see roads for much of the time!

Key places are what we think of as the obvious:

London

York

Edinburgh

Chester

Bath

But this list could go on.

Visit the British Tourist Board site for more ideas: https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/…

Edited: 29 September 2018, 00:52
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
226 reviews
3. Re: UK trip in November

Unfortunately there are few tours in November - for the reason that the weather is likely to be horrible. If you have to visit at this time I'd stick to spending the time in cities.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,714 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: UK trip in November

I would recommend you stick to cities and large towns. November can be a dark, dismal and depressing month to be travelling around the countryside, and many attractions outside urban areas will either be closed completely or have very limited opening hours.

My favourite cities to visit, in no particular order other then geographical, would be Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Manchester, Liverpool, Chester, Cardiff, Bristol, Salisbury, Winchester and Portsmouth.

Out of those, London has the most to do and see, so I'd say it makes sense to spend the most time there.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,688 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: UK trip in November

November! That starts in five weeks time.

OK. Let's start with:

- airport of arrival.

- airport of departure.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
181 reviews
6. Re: UK trip in November

You have 3 weeks which is a good amount of time. There is a lot to do and as asked above it's important to know your flight plans to be able to figure out where to start and where to go to wind up at the departure city.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
7. Re: UK trip in November

You could probably do 5 days in London but perhaps leavery this to the end. Some of our countryside suits a November climate usually windy and rainy but occasionally cold and crisp. Yorkshire moors or lake district the key is to book comfortable hotels preferably those that do food and have open fires. Check national Trust that looks after lots of stately homes. I would recommend that if you can rent a car a bit of time in cornwall or the gower peninsula in Wales will give you some coastal scenery. Edinburgh is worth seeing but best to get there by train. Queen Victoria liked Scotland so the rail network is well developed and you can travel as far west as the island of Skye as a result.

You do now need to do a bit of Internet research and get some train tickets booked and accommodation at least in London even if it's refundable.

Anyway I am sure you will be very welcome and personally I think November's a good time to travel as long as you are realistic and have some idea about what you want to see.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,738 posts
220 reviews
8. Re: UK trip in November

Why not post your draft itinerary so we can offer suggestions, advise on logistics and help you have a holiday encompassing what you want to see not what strangers here think you should see.

2 posts
9. Re: UK trip in November

Thank you for all your suggestions.I am in mid 30's,planning to drive by country side but rely on public transportation in big cities.I haven't made any plans for accomadation yet.

I will be reaching London on Nov 1st from California.Intending to stay there for 3 weeks.

Here is my rough itinerary.Please let me know how do-able this is?

London(5 days)

Stonehenge,Windsor,bath (2 days)

Cotswold, Stratford on Avon (2 days)

Coventry 1 day

York 1 day

Edinburgh( glasgow to lochness to inverness to isle of skye) 3 days enough?

oxford to bedford 1 day

If possible do Ireland in 3 days? or just cover Scotland and England only

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
181 reviews
10. Re: UK trip in November

From Avon you can get to a number of nice Cotswold towns like Broadway, Chipping Campden, Moreton,... if you are driving.

I’m not sure about being able to do what you want to in Scotland in 3 days. Driving will take a lot longer than it looks on maps. Edinburgh is worth several days. Have not been to Glasgow but there is a lot there now surprisingly as it used to be the worst slims in western Europe in the 60-70s. Then getting over to beautiful Skye and taking te ferry. Just seems like a lot for 3 days. Maybe there is a trick to doing it some Scots might know.

Have had good weather in Wales and Edinburgh as late as the end of October-early November. But your driving days get short as you go north.

Reply to: UK trip in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted