We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Boston...
11 posts
Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Hi all! My partner and I will be heading to England and Scotland for the holidays this year. We arrive London on 19 December and depart Glasgow on 6 January. We'll be in London until at least 27 December. We'd like to see as many football matches as we can. He supports Tottenham. I'm happy to watch any match at all. I know Tottenham have a game on Boxing Day, as well as on 22 December at Everton, which we'd certainly be happy to travel to Liverpool for. We also may stay a few days longer in London to try to catch Tottenham's game on 29 Dec, too.

First question: any tips on getting tickets to football matches?

We'd also like to head to Scotland for New Year. I'm looking at Oban to bring in the new year, but would love any ideas for other spots to check out. I've been to Scotland a number of times and would like to stick to the West Coast/Islands and/or Highlands this time around. My partner has only been to Edinburgh and so I would really love for him to see more of the country! If we stick to the Oban plan, I'd ideally like to be in Oban a few nights (including 31 Dec for Skipinnish ceilidh--unless you have other suggestions!) and then head to Islay for a few nights. I know the ferry doesn't operate on 1 January, but it looks like we can plan around that. We aren't planning to rent a car, but could.

Second question: any suggestions for things we must do in Scotland, things we might want to check out for Hogmanay celebrations, etc.?

Our plans are really open at the moment, so am looking for really any and all ideas that could be fun!

Thank you very much--so looking forward to your thoughts!

12 replies to this topic
Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Firstly football tickets, forget about it, demand massively outstrips supply, particularly on Boxing day. Unless you want to spend hundreds on a hospitality package do something else that day.Don't buy from unofficial sites, reselling tickets is illegal and they are most probably a scam anyway. Are you aware how the UK closes down over Christmas? No public transport 25th, and limited 26th, pretty much every tourist attraction closed 25-26th or longer. All shops closed 25th and most restaurants that are open will only do a set lunch at £40+ each, most closed for dinner. There will be some places open in the likes of China Town and Brick lane that are more ethnic.

Boston...
11 posts
2. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Thanks, robbelcher! Yep--very aware that there'll be nothing on during the 24th and 25th. Looking forward to a very leisurely couple of days, lie-ins, maybe a cycle around the deserted city.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Welcome to the forums.

Be aware that the all EPL fixtures (dates and KO times) are not yet confirmed for December. They are indicative only at present and some matches will be altered (date or KO time) for TV purposes.

Also - getting tickets for many EPL matches is a significant challenge. Most visitors from abroad do not seem to realise that fact in advance. Hospitality tickets (expensive) is usually the only suitable way to get tickets.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

No, the 24th will be very busy indeed, frantic last minute shopping is traditional (!) , it’s the 25-26th that goes quiet. Only buy football tickets from the club or their appointed hospitality agent.

Boston...
11 posts
5. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Thanks, KWUK, happy to be here!

That's good to know about the fixtures. It's part of the reason why we're sticking around for a number of days--hoping to strike lucky with tickets and be available to go on whatever day the matches are settled. I am quite worried about actually getting the tickets, though...

Boston...
11 posts
6. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Thanks for the info about buying from clubs, PMQuestions!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Perversely i would imagine that hospitality tickets should be fairly easy to obtain over the Christmas period, as there will be somewhat reduced demand from corporate clients. but they still won't be cheap. On the other hand if your man is a Tottenham fan and is willing to cross the Atlantic to see them play then maybe it might make sense to stump up for a package. But as others say make sure you buy from the club or its authorised agent and don't even think of secondary ticket websites.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
8. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

Just please, don't get scammed for tickets. Scamming tourists for EPL tickets is an industry.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,284 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

<<as well as on 22 December at Everton, which we'd certainly be happy to travel to Liverpool for>

Be aware that away team supporters (ie your hubby) have to be seated in a segregated away section of the stadium. Numbers of tickets for the away section is "severely" limited, so getting normal tickets for an away match is even more difficult than the normal difficulty level; and usually is restricted to "regular" away supporters only.

(Assuming Everton allow it ?), no segregation for hospitality tickets for away supporters, so that would be an even more significant solution in your case. And the fine city of Liverpool is itself worth 2 or 3 days tourism time as well.

Boston...
11 posts
10. Re: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland

I hope you're right that tickets may be available due to the holidays, JohnEW2912. We'll see. We're not choosy, but this thread is making me lose a bit of hope! I hadn't thought about the packages--I'll talk to my travel companion and see what he thinks about splashing out a bit if it means he can see his precious Spurs.

Reply to: Christmas and New Year in England and Scotland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted