We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport signature concern.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Passport signature concern.

Hi. I have a problem with Carpal Tunnel syndrome, and made a bit of a mess of signing my new passport. Went over it again, and it looks a bit "raggy." Really don't want to get another passport, but concerned it may cause a problem. If asked, I was thinking of either coming clean, or claiming the pen was dodgy. Any thoughts or advice, please? Thanks for reading.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,576 Reviews
from US$ 119.60*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
736 Reviews
from US$ 107.90*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,221 Reviews
from US$ 122.20*
4 replies to this topic
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport signature concern.

The forum is already littered with questions from people who have signed abnormally, in the wrong place, in the wrong colour ink, signed it twice in different places, gone over it again with the same or a different pen… and every permutation you can think of. You could try contacting the Passport Advice Line if you are concerned but, so far, no-one has obtained a definitive unambiguous answer that covers all eventualities.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/help

The lack of a clear answer is not surprising for two reasons: (1) it depends how “bad” it looks and (2) the answer “don’t worry, it’s not that important” which people are hoping to get is not a message the Passport Office would ever want to give.

The most probable answer they’re likely to give is that your passport is not invalid, but that you might expect to be asked some additional questions when passing through a UK border control point and they can’t guarantee what might happen at a foreign border control point. The reality is that the latter are unlikely to check the signature and in any case probably won’t care unless perhaps it looks as if the signature has been tampered with. For that reason, going over the signature a second time is generally not to be recommended.

You’ll probably be fine, because I’m sure that there are many people with writing difficulties who cannot consistently produce their signature in a neat way. You don’t have to sign a new passport at all if you’ve told the Passport Office you can’t sign because of a disability. The issued passport will then show the words “The holder is not required to sign”. Even if you didn’t make that request at the time you applied, common sense would suggest that some allowance is still made “on the day” for these kinds of difficulties.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport signature concern.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,275 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport signature concern.

They aren't bothered with the signature. Your passport has a chip and is scanned, so anything untoward will flag up on that, for example, if MI5, the FBI or the KGB are after you, or if you have an overdue library book*.

As long as the passport hasn't been tampered with you will be okay.

I used to work for HMPO and UKVI. They have more important things to worry about than your signature. 😉

*joke!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport signature concern.

Thanks, ManSOLO. Great answer.

Reply to: Passport signature concern.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted