We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overstaying Visa

1 post
Save Topic
Overstaying Visa

I was living in the UK on a youth mobility visa, and I over stayed it by 18 days before I went back home to NZ... it’s now been 6 months and I want to return to the UK, but just as a tourist for a few weeks. What I’m nervous about is if I get to the customs desk and then find it I’m not allowed in the country, as I’ve overstayed my previous visa. I’m just looking for some advice as to whether this should be an actual concern or not. Hope someone can help! Cheers

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,581 Reviews
from US$ 118.90*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from US$ 107.30*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,222 Reviews
from US$ 121.50*
3 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overstaying Visa

Yes this is a fairly serious concern. Overstaying by 18 days is not an oversight or a delay, its going to affect you at some level, even if it is needing to make contact and possibly up to refusal of entry,

On exit did you get any paperwork gven to you about the overstay. If not you want to contact the relevant Consulate and ask. Better they tell you bad news than you find out on arrival at the Uk border.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overstaying Visa

I agree with @myrm and think you should seek some professional advice.

Although your passport/visa wouldn’t have been subjected to a physical check on exiting the UK, you should be aware that all PBS (Points Based Systems) visas are automatically checked. Expiry dates are computer matched against departure dates using the embarkation data gathered from airlines, so there will be a flag on your record somewhere, indicating that you were an overstayer. Although you obviously haven’t been pursued, that’s likely because it wasn’t worthwhile to do so and Immigration would have been satisfied enough to see you leaving.

However, it could well be an issue if you try to return and the possible implications are not something you want to face up to when you’ve just stepped off the plane. The UK has been progressively cracking down on overstayers and in late 2016 removed the 28-day grace period during which you would have had an automatic right to lodge an application for extension of an expired visa. The grace period is now 14 days but with no automatic right and requires “good reason beyond the control of the applicant/representative”... so 18 days is certainly an unacceptable overstay without having made an application for extension.

Edited: 15 July 2018, 06:47
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overstaying Visa

Contact the UK high commission and ask if there are restrictions on your entry to the UK.

Reply to: Overstaying Visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted