We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

Hello. We are driving from Toronto ON to Falmouth MA in Cape Cod and were wondering if someone could tell us what the quickest driving route down is?

THanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

There is no quick route. Figure 11 or 12 hours, I-90 all the way into Massachusetts, then I-495 South (which becomes Route 25) over the bridge and into Cape Cod. Then you'll see signs to Falmouth.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

Alanm is right, there is no quick way to the Cape. We have been doing it for nearly 40 years, all in one go originally and for the last few years stopping overnight near Albany.

It's a very straightforward drive, QEW to the Queenston Bridge at Niagara, New York Thruway (I - 90 ) to the Mass. Turnpike, Mass. Turnpike to 495S which will take you to the bridges, over the bridge and follow the signs to Falmouth. You could also cross the border at Fort Erie instead of Queenston and pick up the N.Y. Thruway there.

The fastest that we have done it is 11 hours with very short stops for washrooms etc. Albany is about a 6 - 7 hour drive and is a good overnight stopping place, lots of motels to choose from. 4 - 5 hours the next morning onto the Cape. On the way back we stop in the Syracuse area, leaving us with about a three hour drive home the next morning.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 20:44
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

Thank you both so much. Also, we have the choice to stay in Falmouth (near Surf Drive beach) or Yarmouth. Any opinions here? We have 2 small boys.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

Falmouth is lovely and has a nice choice of restaurants. You can have fun biking on the Shining Sea bikepath too. If you want to pop over to Martha's Vineyard for the day then this is an easy trip on the Island Queen. However, if you have in mind to tour the Cape, visit the National Seashore, do a whale watch and so forth then Falmouth is quite a drive to the rest of the Cape and these attractions. I must say though that, as long as you don't have the need to leave Falmouth then you'll have everything nearby.

Yarmouth (not Yarmouthport on the Bay side) is more congested and very commercial so if you want to entertain the kids Yarmouth will have more 'stuff' per square inch. Many motels are right on busy Rt. 28 but some are on the beaches of Nantucket Sound. Unfortunately the restaurants are not all that terrific but take the kids to Capt. Parkers (and enjoy their award winning clam chowder) then pop over to Hyannis for some good dining options. For casual seafood in Hyannis we enjoy Baxter's Boat House and it is right ON (or over) the harbor...two sides and one is very casual.

I hope this is somewhat helpful to you.

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

I would definitely recommend South Yarmouth over Falmouth if you have children.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

Are you restricted to Falmouth or Yarmouth for some reason?

7. Re: Drive from Toronto to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 10:48