We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

I’ve read every post about every town and STILL can’t decide where to stay. We’re on a bit of a tight budget and have 3-4 days. Family of four (two boys). I’d like to be on a beach. Want to go whale watching and need to be near stuff for kids...

Have been looking at Dennisport the most. I’m scared to just pick something! Leaving in 4 weeks!

33 replies to this topic
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,996 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

You are right to look in Dennis Port. Not only are the accommodations reasonable (by Cape standards) you also can be on or very near one of the Nantucket Sound beaches. Additionally the Mid-Cape area has lots near by to entertain the kids.

Have you found accommodations that will work for you? If so what is keeping you from pulling the trigger?

Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

Thank you for replying! What’s stopping me is that I’m worried about not like the hotel! Looking at Corsair and Pelham. We have been spoiled by amazing timeshare resorts. Ive want to go to the Cape for years!! I don’t want to make the wrong choice!!! Every town looks awesome! I know I can’t afford Ptown, Eastgam....saw the Wellfleet Motel....looks decent....but is there stuff to do?! Lol. So torn! It all looks so beautiful.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

"...but is there stuff to do?!" That depends upon what sort of stuff you want to do. The Outercape is more nature oriented than is the Route 28 area. It is a quieter, more beach focused experienced. You have the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, ocean and bay beaches, National Seashore Visitors' Center, hiking and nature trails and just a few miniature golf courses.

Level Contributor
52 posts
4. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

Look at West Yarmouth or South yamouth. Waterfront lodging is expensive so not sure of your budget. Plenty of motels check TripAdvisor. Many recently refurbished with breakfast. Many have pools. Nice beaches, restaurants, plus water park, mini golf and batting cages for kids. Whale watching out of Barnstable but not cheap. Go to seagull beach for the day or 2.

https://www.whales.net

http://www.skullislandcapecod.com

https://capecodinflatablepark.com

Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

Thank you! I really want to be on the beach. That’s a huge thing for me. We only have 3-4 days so figure we explore one town per day. We prefer nature over shopping.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
286 reviews
6. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

Stick with dennisport. You won’t be disappointed.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
250 reviews
7. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

If you want nature you should be on the Outer Cape, but if you want to be on the beach you need to go to North Truro.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,996 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

There are time share properties right along Chase Ave where Corsair/Cross rips is located. There's Edgewater Beach and Blue Green Resorts which includes The Breakers (on the beach and another across the street from the beach) and The Soundings. So compare these to Corsair/Crossrip.

From these properties you can walk to one of the only beach bars on the Cape next to Ocean House on the lawn of Three Seasons.

You can also walk to a traditional seafood house, The Ebb Tide Restaurant with their terrific gift shop. Or walk in the other direction for very casual B, L or D at Wee Packet (with a nice gift shop out back), The tiny Wooden Shoe popular for their clam chowder and their whole Maine lobster prices. Next to Wee Packet is the famous Sundae School for popular home made ice cream. Many more upscale and casual options are available all along Lower County Rd so you can stay out of Rt 28 traffic. Last dining spot within walking distance is the famous The Ocean House where you can go for a full meal or just get a gourmet pizza in the lounge.

Dennis Port is located Mid-Cape and it is easy from there to get around the Cape and super easy to visit Harwichport and Chatham in one direction, Yarmouth in the other and yet have enough to do if you never want to leave town.

If you stay in a beachfront room in any of these properties then not only will you be steps to the sand but also you'll be able to hear the waves 24/7, again IF you buy the beachfront room. Hope you will be able to have this experience.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,996 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

I see you say you have 3 or 4 days. I can assure you that you will be more pleased with your visit the longer you can stay.

Once you get your accommodations set then come back and ask other questions about things that you like to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed

everything is expensive during summer months, but I would recommend South Yarmouth and Riviera Beach Resort--right on the beach and tons of family activities. We have 3 kids of various ages and they all enjoy this area. ..good luck, you will love the Cape!

Reply to: First trip to Cape...overwhelmed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod
Recent Conversations