We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

We are coming to Hyannis the last week of July and never been to Cape Cod.

We normally visit O.C. MD or Panama City, FL, so are used to Gulf or big waves. My boys 8 and 10 like to Boogie Board at Ocean City. My boys will go in the ocean this time of year in MD (72 degrees), but is it that much colder on Cape Cod and would the waves be good for good swimmers and decent boogie boarders in Eastham at this age who are used to the ocean?

My other option would be to stay in Hyannis where my older son has a regatta, but having read up on the beaches it seems it would be more like playing on a Bay than the Ocean, but the shells at Kalmus sound fun.

The only definite is to visit the Wyndah museum in Yarmouth while we are there. Any ideas on good beaches or travel to and from Hyannis to Eastham. We would get there on a Friday and it would be Saturday and Sunday morning we would need to travel to Hyannis from Eastham.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Kalmus Beach
Kalmus Beach
351 Reviews
Hyannis, MA
Lands End Inn
Lands End Inn
#1 of 15 hotels in Provincetown
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
#1 of 9 hotels in Chatham
The Escape Inn
The Escape Inn
#1 of 21 hotels in South Yarmouth
8 replies to this topic
South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

The biggest waves (and most of the sharks) are most often along the east coast of Cape as could be expected, as well as the coldest water temps. Hyannis is the "big city" and least Cape like but I believe that hotel prices may be better because of the number of places. The stretch of Route 6 from 134 in Dennis to rotary in Orleans is two lane so on a Saturday, it could make travel slower but as I only go my local dump on Saturday, I really don't have any actual experience. And with Saturday being the most common turnover day for weekly units, that's why I mentioned it.

Edited: 09 July 2018, 09:17
Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Dennis
Dennis
Cape Cod, MA
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
423 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

The biggest waves are off the eastern coast of the Cape, facing the Atlantic. Waves are only significant at Kalmus when conditions are perfect- wind out of the south, tide coming in, preferably a storm offshore. You can find some current water temperature data from NOAA's buoys here:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

Currently, the Nantucket Sound buoy is reporting a water temp of 71.4 F. The one off of Provincetown isn't reporting water temps, but the Cape Cod Bay one is reporting 64.9 F. In my experience, the eastern facing beaches are slightly colder than the bay so that is a significant temperature difference. You may be able to find good waves and warm water at a less protected Nantucket Sound beach like West Dennis beach.

Mentioned in this post
Kalmus Beach
Kalmus Beach
351 Reviews
Hyannis, MA
The Nantucket Hotel & Resort
The Nantucket Hotel...
895 Reviews
Nantucket, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Nantucket
Nantucket
Massachusetts
West Dennis Beach
West Dennis Beach
91 Reviews
West Dennis, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

I believe that current temperatures at the National Seashore beaches on the Outer Cape are about 65 which is average for July.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod National Seashore
Cape Cod National...
532 Reviews
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

Yes the National Seashore Atlantic beaches, starting in Eastham, sound like what you are looking for. Lifeguards and spotteplanes are watching out for shark sightings so make sure your kids swim within thr guarded areas.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod National Seashore
Cape Cod National...
532 Reviews
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

Besides the beach info it might be worth mentioning that Hyannis and Yarmouth (Whydah for example) are the two towns that will have more things for your boys to do a la OCMD and Panama City.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

Thanks for your replies so far. We really love the beach and my youngest loves pirates (especially Sam Bellamy who my husband has talked about for a while).

As far as travel- should we expect heavy traffic around noon on Friday?

Also, how hard would it be to drive out to Eastham or Provincetown after dropping my oldest son off in the morning?

I am reversing my thinking with Easham. In my research it looks like the hotels really are not on the beaches and you need to drive and park somewhere anyway even if you stay at a hotel. I love water views and hearing the waves at night, but it seems like the shore is part of the national seashore so you don't get beachfront hotels. If you know of any please let me know.

Thanks for the suggestion on West Dennis Beach, we definitely will check it out.

Mentioned in this post
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
West Dennis Beach
West Dennis Beach
91 Reviews
West Dennis, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

You are correct about no hotels on the shore on the Outer Cape. The ocean side is protected land. If you go to North Truro there are places on Cape Cod Bay, such as Crow's Nest and Top Mast that are right on the water. Also Surfside in Provincetown. But you don't get the waves that you do on the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
North Truro
North Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)

You are looking for ocean front accommodations at the end of this month? You are probably going to need to call the properties and see if you can pick up a cancellation or their recommendation to another property..

There are a lot of properties on the beach in South Yarmouth, West Dennis and Dennis Port. Most also have a pool.

In Dennis Port there are motels like Corsair/Cross Rip, Three Seasons and then there are time shares like, Blue Green Resorts (The Soundings + The Breakers) and Edgewater beach. Across from the beach road there are a handful of cottages around a pool at The Ebb Tide which is also the name of their restaurant and there's a cottage colony on plus across the street at Dennis Seashores. More options in West Dennis too as well as the aforementioned South Yarmouth.

Mentioned in this post
South Yarmouth
South Yarmouth
Cape Cod, MA
West Dennis
West Dennis
Dennis, MA
Dennis Port
Dennis Port
Dennis, MA
Edgewater Beach Resort
Edgewater Beach Resort
214 Reviews
Dennis Port, MA
The Ebb Tide
The Ebb Tide
222 Reviews
Dennis Port, MA
Dennis Seashores
Dennis Seashores
41 Reviews
Dennis, MA
Reply to: Visiting Hyannis- hotel ideas (do we go farther to Eastham?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted