We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
284 posts
123 reviews
Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

we're going to be doing a little Eastern Crete on our next trip, mostly to hop around the archaeological ruins. After an evening in Agios Nicholas we'll head towards Sitia and Palekastro, stopping to see every brown sign along the way. So in the evening where do we stay? that's the question of the hour. Sitia? Palekastro? somewhere in between? we're looking for somewhere we can get a good dinner, maybe walk around a bit and enjoy the atmosphere. I am clueless, so any help that you may have is much appreciate! Thanks.

25 replies to this topic
Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
850 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Hi Brent.

Have you already visited Spinalonga on your previous trips? If not, I would suggest staying overnight in Elounda or Plaka then catching first boat over to the island, before the big trip boats arrive. You could then have a little time exploring this amazing and evocative place before heading further East.

If you need any further info,please ask away.

Nic :-)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,418 posts
230 reviews
2. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Hi Brent

If you want chilled out a few tavernas right on the beach then look at staying in Kato Zakros - you can also visit the archeological site there too

http://cretetravel.com/guide/kato-zakros/

If you want some where a bit larger, more of village then yes Palekastro is a good choice - bigger choice of tavernas, some shops and bars, but still chilled out :-)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Sitia - small town with pretty palm tree and taverna-lined waterfront and back streets of workaday local shops. Probably the better bet for "walking around a bit".

Palekastro - inland farming village, not much there except the central square with several very good tavernas - you could stay in the basic but comfortable Hotel Hellas and eat in their excellent restaurant below.

Either place is good for a short stay. There is nowhere to stay in between the two, though you will pass by a large, failed concrete tourist development stranded in the middle of nowhere and now crumbling away.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
391 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Hi Brent

Another vote for Sitia, ably described by 2bristolians, and which is very much a working Crete town with a pleasant waterfront with several good tavernas. It also has an interesting archeological museum.

I also went through Palekastro on my way to the Palekastro archeological site which is worth a visit. From there I toured Cape Sidheros, simply because it is the furtherest north east point. You'll not be able to get right to the point as there is a Greek military base at the actual point.

Kato Zakros should also be on your list as recommended by MG100surrey. The ancient minoan palace has a small visitor centre and a self guided walk. Beyond that you can take a walk up the Gorge of the Dead which is the beginning of the trans Crete walking having the less than romantic title the E4. When I stayed there last year it was in one of Stellas Traditional apartments (highly recommended) and I ate at the line of tavernas along the seafront, some 400-500 metres away.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Brent k. You don't say when you are going. I mention this as Palekastro is very much a season only place (relatively short season too) and is a small village as opposed to the full blown working town that is Sitea. Sitea has a longer season too and is therefore better equipped as far as things to see and do and places to eat.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

I seem to remember from brent's previous posts that he has been to Kato Zakros before, which is why I didn't mention it this time. However if I've remembered wrongly I will just say again, Kato Zakros is one of my favourite places on earth :-)

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
216 reviews
7. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Firstly, if you start in Ag Nik in the morning, and stop at every "brown sign" you will hardly reach Sitia until after dark.

I found Sitia a great base for eastern Crete. Apart from being a nice town, it is a great base for several trips around. The nearest is the Hellenic settlement just outside the town. One day driving via Moni Touplou to the Vai beach, and even better, to the Itano beach with the fully open archeological site. Another day to Zakros or Kato Zakros where you may do a day trip walking the Zakros Gorge and another archeological site. Note the Minoan cave graves in the hillside, giving it the name "Deads Gorge". Or you may drive further south to Xirocampos (a splendid new road most of it) with some extraordinary beaches. You may then return over the mountain where the serpentine road climbs to 800 meters in a few kilometers. Pass the military radar station near Ziros, the abandoned village of Etia and back to Sitia. I would also recommend Ierapetra as a stop on the return. You will find a lot of browns signs as you drive.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
284 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

thanks for all your help with this, and yes we've already done the Gorge of the Dead and the Palace at Kato Zakros. That was our first day on our first trip to Greece, and very very cool indeed.

I think every brown sign along the way may be a slight exaggeration, but if I told you my real itinerary I'd get a lot of scowls and frowny faces. Sitia for the night it is, and that drive to xerokampos will be the next day and Lerapetra as well. Thanks again everyone!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

Sounds like a good plan brent! BTW it's Ierapetra with an I not an L. It's a nice enough ordinary Greek town, I'm not sure I'd make a special trip there.

Scowls and frowny faces ... whatever gave you that idea?! Those of us who have followed your posts before have got used to your whirlwind travel style by now :-) (See, that was a smiley face.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,962 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?

>f you start in Ag Nik in the morning, and stop at every "brown sign" you will hardly reach Sitia until after dark.<

You're forgetting that Brent K travels at the speed of light! :0) (That was a smile, not a frowny face, Brent.)

I agree about Sitia and Xerokampos. I also agree that if they draw you, Ierapetra can be omitted.

Reply to: Eastern Crete - Where to Stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lasithi Prefecture
Recent Conversations
More Lasithi Prefecture Topics