We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Found a nice apartment in Torri and booked 4 nights, we are a couple and have a car so I was thinking of just driving to the other small towns/villages. Now I'm worried that the lack of ferries from Torri will impact our enjoyment (prevent me from having an early morning drink! and increase stress looking for parking etc.)

I'm considering trying to change my booking for 4 nights back to 2 nights in Torri and spend the final 2 nights in Limone Sul Garda (where I've found a lovely apartment right next to bar/restaurant area)

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Am I being hard on Torri here or should I try to change the dates and spend 2nights in Limone?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

When in May are you travelling? Apart from the very end of the month it shouldn't be busy enough to cause you any problems unless you are desperate to travel a lot by ferry. There are a couple of services a day and if you stick to the eastern shore you could return by bus, or vice versa. There are large car parks in all the main towns round the lake, easily visible on maps or if you need more directions please just ask. Two nights in both towns is not going to give you much time in either, taking into account travelling, checking in and out etc. If you want to visit Limone you can do so by using the car ferry from Torri del Benaco to Maderno on the western shore and driving up to Limone. You can also use this ferry as a foot passenger. There are also buses from Torri to Malcesine to the north and as far as Peschiera del Garda to the south.

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/2017%20BATTEL…

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/2017%20Madern…

There are so many towns you can visit without the car, you will easily fill your time but equally a car would allow you get around easier to make the most of your time.

Edited: 25 April 2017, 00:33
2. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 03:42
Edited: 25 April 2017, 03:42
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Thanks tepore,

We are there on the 27th-31st so right at the end of the month

We arrive into Bergamo @10am on the 27th and fly back at 10pm so I will get almost the full day on the 27th in Torri. Along with the full day on the 28th and the morning of the 29th.

That routing for the standard ferry worries me. Torri seems to have very limited offerings.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

The journey from Bergamo to Torri should take around 90 minutes, from Limone back to the airport you need to allow another 30 minutes. Have a look at the things you want to do and see around the lake and make your decision based on that.

Make sure your accommodation offers car parking, as most towns have pedestrianised centres on street parking is not easy to find.

Edited: 25 April 2017, 13:33
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Hi, I think the decisions you have to make are which other lake towns you want to see, if you want to travel everywhere by public transport or by car, and if being in Torri is more important then being based in another town with better ferry services.

I can understand why the lack of passenger ferries from Torri would be a concern. Torri is a lovely town and one we like to spend time in, but the lack of passenger ferries puts me off actually staying there. We don't hire a car when we're at the lake so we rely on public transport to get around - and we enjoy using the ferries.

As Tepore said, you can use buses to travel to any town on the eastern shore, and there is the car ferry between Torri and Maderno that you can also travel on as a foot passenger, but the actual passenger ferries are very limited. Looking at the Spring timetable, you can get to some places from Torri but you can't get back - e.g. Sirmione and Desenzano. The nearest you can get to is Garda and from there you'd need to take a bus or taxi back to Torri.

Other places you can get to and from by boat, but you have no choice about when to return. However, there are ways round that, for example if you go to Limone by ferry you can go on the 9.39 boat, getting there at 11.05. You don't have to wait until the only returning boat at 17.08 - you could instead get a boat from Limone to Riva then take the bus back to Torri, or you could take a boat from Limone to Malcesine then another boat (if the timing is right) or bus back to Torri.

This is the bus timetable connecting Torri with the eastern shore towns from Malcesine to Peschiera:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/483.pdf

And from Riva to Garda:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/484.pdf

Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Hi, why is my post from yesterday removed? I only wrote, that in my opinion Torri is much nicer than Limone. And in Torri you'll have the car ferry to Maderno and many of the passenger ferries stop in Torri. So there is no need to change your booking.

Beate

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Beate, I didn't see post No 2 but if that was yours it says it was removed at the author's request.

<<...many of the passenger ferries stop in Torri>>

Not true unfortunately. If you open the link to the timetable given by Tepore in her answer above, you'll see just how limited it is.

Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Thank you Scozzese, but aren't the author me? And I didn't request for removing it.

But now I've seen that at least in spring there are not so much connections from Torri. So maybe I remembered wrong, than in summertime a few years ago there were a lot more ferries.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Beate, that's strange. If anyone had reported it the message would have said it had been removed by the TA community, but, given what you said, it's hard to see why anyone would have reported it.

As for the frequency of passenger ferries to Torri, I've just checked the timetables all the way back to 2010 (yes, sadly I keep things like that!) and in that time Torri has not had a frequent service in Spring or Summer.

Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights in Torri Del Benaco May- Did I make a mistake?

Thank you, Scozzese, it's funny that you kept this things. And I have to recognise that I remembered wrong.

Beate

Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda
Recent Conversations