We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butchart Gardens in January?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Butchart Gardens in January?

We have a business trip to the Seattle area in January, 2015, and wondered if a return trip to Butchart Gardens at this time of year makes sense? Other ideas for travel in January? Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butchart Gardens in January?

That would be a very long day to see spring blooms growing inside (which is about all that is happening in January at Butcharts). Their spring blossom event is absolutely gorgeous and if you were already in Victoria I would say go for it; but not to come all the way from Seattle for a day.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butchart Gardens in January?

Ah, I wasn't clear. We were thinking of a day or two in Victoria. Is late January a crazy time to be thinks of this? (Tied to business trip.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butchart Gardens in January?

The attractions and activities that make Victoria so appealing to visitors will not be up and running in January: the Inner Harbour buskers and entertainers, the harbour ferries, the summer buzz. Instead it will seem very much a small, albeit attractive, city going about its daily business. Butchart is always well tended and cultivated but will be more subdued in January than the more prolific seasons. You can see the seasons by opening the following link and then scrolling down to winter. There are further links to open as well:

www.butchartgardens.com/activities/5-seasons

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butchart Gardens in January?

Americans seem to love Victoria no matter what the season. The weather in Victoria in January will be no different than in Seattle, and if you're looking for somewhere different, you can certainly get a lot out of a two day visit. The tourist attractions stay open year round, like the Royal BC Museum (worthy of 2+ hours), the Empress Hotel, tours of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia (Victoria is the capital city of the province of BC)... plus the smaller attractions like Craigdarroch Castle, Emily Carr House, etc. I haven't even included the typical city strolls like the shops, pubs, restaurants and cafes along Government Street, Fan Tan Alley in Chinatown, and so on. If it's not pouring rain, a stroll down to Dallas Road to the waterfront, which is beautiful, and even a quick stroll through Beacon Hill Park. You can play it by ear once you're there whether you want to visit Butchart Gardens. I wouldn't go to Victoria FOR Butchart Gardens in January... I'd go to Victoria to see Victoria, if that makes sense. However, Butchart will be lush and green - you just won't see any flowers in bloom.

Edited: 26 September 2014, 00:36
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,177 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butchart Gardens in January?

If you are there early in January, you can walk around the Gardens and look for the 12 Days of Christmas Display. They have all the lights until January 6th. That can be fun, if you haven't experienced it before.

Reply to: Butchart Gardens in January?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Central Saanich
Recent Conversations