We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?

Hi, We're from Indiana but we're staying most of the month in Grand Prairie where our son-in-law has a residency for the month of August. We're staying at an RV park. We had SO hoped to drive down through Grande Cache to see Jasper, but we weren't able to make reservations soon enough, so there is nothing available.

So.....we're going to Plan B, which is to spend a couple of days up in the Peace River Valley area. But we haven't had a chance to research it at all, and we need recommendations on where to camp. Something clean and scenic, if possible. But clean is more important than scenic. :-)

We're avid photographers, so scenery and wildlife are the things we're most interested in. We also love to hike and bike. (How are the mosquitos up there?)

We would greatly appreciate any suggestions for sights to see and places to camp.

4 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,196 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?

If you're looking for campground reservations, don't let that keep you from visiting Jasper. Only a very small number of all the campgrounds are reservable, and of those, only a small percentage of the campsites can be reserved. Unless you're planning to arrive during the Labour Day long weekend, you will be able to find a site.

You may not get a full hookup site the day that you arrive, but if someone is willing to stand in line at the Whistlers campground office in the morning as campers check out, you should be able to snag a full hookup site in a day or three.

You can see all the Jasper campgrounds summarized in this table here:

pc.gc.ca/eng/…camping.aspx

It's been a very long time since I've been in the Slave Lake area (and as you probably know, the town of Slave Lake suffered a devastating fire a year ago). If I recall correctly, Hilliard's Bay Provincial Park and Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park are both nice areas to camp. If you continue east to Lac La Biche, I still remember the amazing forest campground at Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park. It's in an incredibly beautiful old-growth forest on an island connected to the shore by a single causeway road. They are so concerned about fire that there are actually fire hydrants throughout the park. In case of fire, campers are to evacuate from the shore by boat rather than try to get off via the causeway.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 21:35
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?

Dear Wife....

Thanks for your response. Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you.....the Internet connection is really spotty at the campground where we're staying. I honestly didn't even expect anyone to answer me about this more obscure location. :-)

Great suggestions for campgrounds. I'll check them out. The Churchill Park sounds especially nice. I'm sure I can probably even check them out on Trip Advisor.

We wanted to go to Jasper so badly that we had actually decided to just stay in a motel and park the RV somewhere. We found a place and were going to go until we found out the bad news. There have been bad mud slides on roads going to Maligne Canyon and Mt. Edith Cavell. They don't expect Cavell to be open again all season. They've issued advisories. Those were the very 2 places we had planned to visit. So I think we'll wait and go back to Plan B. :-)

The other reason we've decided to go north/east from Grande Prairie is the fact that we're unlikely to get back up here again any time soon, so while we're in the area we should see the Peace River Valley and Slave Lake areas. When my son-in-law finishes med school he'll be back in either Edmonton or Calgary, so we'll have plenty of chances to get back to places like Banff and Jasper.

Thanks again for your suggestions, and if anyone else wants to chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,196 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?

Sorry to hear about your bad timing in Jasper. Don't forget to check www.rvparkreviews.com and the Good Sam Club reviews for more campground info:

goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/

The Good Sam site has basic listings, as well as Trailer Life ratings and user reviews (if any).

And last but not least, there is the official Alberta Campground Guide:

http://www.albertacampgroundguide.ca/

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?

Thanks again. I know about those websites, but I didn't have them bookmarked on my computer. So thanks for providing the links.....that makes it easy! :-) I had forgotten about the reviews though, so I'll check them out.

Reply to: What to do in the Slave Lake area....and where to camp?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Slave Lake
Recent Conversations