We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Rockies

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Rockies

Hi all

I am planning a trip to Rockies the first week of October for 10 days. So far we have flights into and out of Calgary on 30th Sep and 9th Oct.

We are traveling as 2 couples with 1 18 month old and so would ideally like to look for cabins with 2 rooms and a fire, living space, kitchen so we can put the baby to bed and enjoy our evenings.

We are really into hiking, canoeing and horse riding.

Our current plan is to stay in maybe 3 places. I am thinking Emerald lake for a couple of nights, Jasper for 3 and then Lake Louise for 3. How does that sound? Is this the right balance? Is 3 days in Jasper enough? Is there anywhere we are missing we should definitely get to? Given we are going in Oct should we consider anything different due to potential weather?

I also found Tekarra Lodge in Jasper that looks good? Has anyone stayed there? Would it work?

Any recommendations of good cabins to stay that fit the bill would be really really appreciated

Thanks loads in advance for your help

Gina

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,331 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Rockies

Hi GinaCothey ~ and welcome to TA.

We British Columbians would love to say the Rockies are ours, but alas they are located in Alberta, the next province over.

If you were arriving in Vancouver, for example, and then driving across BC to the Rockies, you would be in the right place. However, with your plans into Calgary, I would suggest you just transfer this post to the Canadian Rockies Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Can…

Edit: oh .... just noticed it's in the tiny Field Forum. Anyway, the CRF is for you.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 00:46
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Rockies

I'm in the part of BC close to the Alberta border so I'll venture an opinion. With a bit of luck you should be ok for snow. However, I have been hit with some pretty severe snowfalls at that time of year. It all depends. The drive from Lake Louise to Jasper is through the Columbia icefields....great to see, but they aren't glaciers for nothing. Weather is a real potential issue and I'd encourage you to have a fallback plan if the weather turns.

In terms of timing if you can swing one more day in Jasper it would probably be worth it. Personally, I'd trim a day off Banff for an extra day in Jasper.

3. Re: 10 days in Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 01:46
Get answers to your questions about Field