We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eastern Townships of Quebec

Eastern Townships of Quebec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2016, 22:00
Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

Hello,

My husband and I are residents of Toronto and have visited the Eastern Townships on a few occasions, staying at Hovey Manor each time. We fell in love with the region, particularly the area around North Hatley.

We are strongly considering taking early retirement in a few years and moving from Toronto to the Townships, along with our daughter who will then be about 10 or 11 years old. We would like to begin gathering information on which to base our decision but have no idea where to start. I saw your post on the North Hatley forum and thought I'd take advantage of your generous offer to answer questions. Hopefully, the following list won't be too overwhelming!

The type of information we're looking for includes things like:

- Are there any books you could recommend that give a good understanding of life in the Townships?

- Is there any kind of newcomers' club or other body that helps new English-speaking arrivals integrate into Townships life?

- Which communities have the largest English-speaking populations? While I speak French, my husband and daughter do not, so we would like to have as many English-speaking neighbours as possible.

- What are Townships winters like in terms of temperatures and snowfall?

- What do people do to occupy themselves during the winters? My husband and I will be retiring early so will not be holding full-time jobs once we move to the Townships.

- Notwithstanding the above, we might be interested in part-time work, such as teaching English. Do you have any idea as to the market for this and where we could go to find out whether such opportunities exist?

- Similarly, we will probably want to do some volunteer work. Do you know of any volunteer coordination organizations?

- Are there any English-speaking recreational facilities (e.g. country clubs) that are accepting new members?

- Which Townships communities are regarded as having the best quality of life?

- It's very important to us to find a house on a lake that is clean and weed-free with relatively low marine traffic. How do we find out which lakes are best?

- We are fans of classical music; are there any orchestras or chamber music groups that give performances in the area?

- Our daughter currently takes swimming, music and dance classes. Are these sorts of classes readily available in the area?

- Are high-speed internet, cable or satellite TV and cellular phone coverage generally available or only in certain areas?

- It is currently quite difficult to find a family physician in Toronto who will accept new patients. How difficult is this in the Townships?

Are you able to provide any suggestions as to where we can start to find the information we're looking for?

Thank you very much, and apologies for the lengthy post.

Jane

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

Hello! My husband and I are driving up from New Jersey to stay at the Manor Hovey. He loves to fish and I was wondering if you knew any guide. He particularly loves to trout fish both lake and stream. We should be there arund June 22. I hope this is prime fishing time!

Also, any golf course that you would suggest? Special places to see. Wineries in the area?

I can't wait! Thank you!

Gail

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

TO GBJB,

Welcome to the NORTH HATLEY TRAVEL FORUM.

Just so you know, it is TA Netiquette to create a new topic rather than to tag on to another... particularly an OLD POST (we call doing so "resurrecting"). You will have better response to your Questions by creating a new topic... as some folks don't look thru old Questions.

Also it means that the Original Poster won't continue to receive email from TA telling them that there are replies to their topic. So posting a new topic is the considerate thing to do.

I look forward to your Questions.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

=== === ===

TO JANE-IN-TORONTO

Unfortunately your Questions seem to be more RELOCATION related than TRAVEL. And as such the TA Owls (Moderators) will most likely deem them off topic for the TRAVEL FORUM as per the Guidelines.

I suggest that you pursue either of the following avenues:

1- GOOGLE to find a local newspaper... an online edition will give you lots of info about a particular community / area and way of life.

2- Send a TA PM (Personal Message) to the Original Poster with your Questions. TA will send them an email telling them that someone from TA is trying to reach them.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

West Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

Hi,

We're staying at Manoir Hovey for two days near the end of May. Obviously breakfast and dinner is taken care of but where you recommend we have lunch.

Also we want to drive around the area for a few hours. What would you suggest we see? We like scenic drives and going to anything interesting you can suggest, maybe markets, cheese manufacturing.

Thanks

Eliot

tiburon
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

We will be driving through the eastern townships for a day on our way to Montreal. Can you suggest some not to be missed things to see or do?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

TO ALJTIBURON,

Welcome to the NORTH HATLEY TRAVEL FORUM.

You'll want to start by checking out the Eastern Townships Tourism Website = www.easterntownships.org

And you'll want to post a NEW Question for any further Questions... so that more TA Advisors see it... tagging on to old posts, means that many who have already replied, don't click back in again... Posting a NEW Topic, means you'll get more replies (and in the end more info).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

Wine 4 2 .... are you the Tripadvisor POLICE????

8. Re: Eastern Townships of Quebec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about North Hatley