We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Beaux on a Sunday?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
191 posts
23 reviews
Les Beaux on a Sunday?

Hi, we will be riding to Les Beaux on our bikes on a Sunday early September and want to know if the town will be open for visiting and restaurants, etc. We don't want to ride all the way there to find a closed up sleepy town. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,226 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

Les Baux survives on tourism. On a Sunday in August, everything will be open just waiting to take euros off tourists.

Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
275 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

And in September, too!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

It will be ready and waiting. And it's Les Baux (a reference to bauxite), not Les Beaux.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,226 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

I think that actually bauxite is a reference to Les Baux. The place is where the mineral was first mined.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,047 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

And one should try to see the show at the old bauxite mines called Carriers des Lumieres http://carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home which is absolutely stunning.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

You may want to consider eating in one of the nearby villages - Maussane-les-Alpilles, or Paradou, where there are some really good restaurants, as opposed to the places in Les Baux, which IMHO are just OK.

UK
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
102 reviews
7. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

I would second that. The restos in Les Baux itself are very pricey and not particularly good, because it is so busy, but towns nearby are much better.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,345 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

I eat a very nice and reasonably priced lunch in Les Baux only a few weeks ago. Looking round, I gained the impression that there was so much competition that prices HAD to be held down to attract customers. Indeed, we weren't necessarily looking to take lunch but the offers were too good to be ignored.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,226 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

When we went past in June, there was a huge trail of tour buses parked at the approaches to the village. We decided not to bother. The restaurants in the village have no incentive to provide good value: every day brings a new flock of tourists waiting to be fleeced.

Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Les Beaux on a Sunday?

Good info on Les Baux. Glad I found this thread...

I have a reservation on Sunday night, September 13 in les Baux at la Cabro d'or. We are based in st Remy and would return there after dinner. Should I cancel the dinner reservation and just find somewhere that night in st Remy?

Get answers to your questions about Les Baux de Provence
More Les Baux de Provence Topics