We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrieres de Lumieres

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Carrieres de Lumieres

We are researching for our trip - not long now. I would be interested to hear some first hand experiences. I know that what will be on when we are there will not be what you saw. Just like to hear your overall thoughts on your visit. We have two weeks and will most likely try to visit Les Baux.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,203 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrieres de Lumieres

I visited about 18 months ago and loved it. I felt a bit disorientated when we first entered, with all the colour and music around me, so I stood still just a little to the side so that I wasn't blocking the way for others entering. After a few moments I was ready to wander and lost myself in it all. When I arrived at the far end, where there is a change in levels, I was most comfortable at the rail and stayed there for quite some time. I was with a group of about 24, including a couple of children, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I would very much recommend it.

Afterwards we went up to Les Baux village - quite a climb for those with bad knees! We went to the ruins of the chateau; useful to have a sweater and ladies a scarf too, as it's very windy and definitely not a good place to be in rain. We had a thrilling time wandering around, and it was fun watching the activities with weapons, but it's not an easy visit for anyone with mobility problems, and good footwear is needed. Even on a Sunday at the end of September it was fairly busy.

Parking was a problem for the Carrières de Lumières; there was a small car park, and most people had to tuck their cars in along the road wherever they could. You perhaps don't need the usual warning about leaving absolutely nothing on show in the car, but others might.

Here's a link which I found interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvJyk-RflY

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrieres de Lumieres

Thanks for that. It certainly looks interesting and different. Will add it to the growing list of things we hope to do. Thankfully neither of us have mobility issues yet, but I am not saying steep climbs are something I love doing!! But it is always worth it in the end.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrieres de Lumieres

Many of Provence's "most beautiful" villages, including Les Baux, are hilltop ones -- that means you'll have to walk up or down from your parking spot (and down or up back, of course!). The Chateau des Baux and its keep are surprisingly large (much bigger than you'd think from the outside) -- the views are stupendous but it could get pretty chilly there if the wind is up & as gardengirlie says the paths aren't made -- there's quite a lot of scrambling over rocks. The demonstrations of mediaeval weapons are in French only but good fun, especially if you are with kids (when I went, the onlookers all got roped in to operate the catapults and so on).

This year's show at the quarries is devoted to Klimt, Schiele and the Viennese school -- could be a bit intellectual judging from the preview I've seen, but the location is extraordinary. More info about Les Baux and the Quarries of Lights: marvellous-provence.com/other-places/village…

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrieres de Lumieres

Thank you for your info. Hilltop villages do not bother me. It is more really steep climbs. I was prepared to be left behind by DH at Mont St Michel and had no issues. And climbed to Queribus and Peyrepertuse. Even walked up the Eiffel Tower!!

It certainly looks to be an interesting experience. So we will see what we do once we get there. The list is getting longer every day !!

Reply to: Carrieres de Lumieres
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les Baux de Provence
More Les Baux de Provence Topics