We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Baux Sound and Light Show

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Les Baux Sound and Light Show

Would anyone care to advise me on "Carrieres les Lumieres " sound and light show 2012- on Van Gogh. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to factor in time to see it.

Ardeche222

12 replies to this topic
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

The show lasts around 40 minutes. The "main feature" is a son et lumiere essay on van Gogh and Gauguin and there's a short film about the four elements. From one point of view, it's quite expensive (8.5 euros) but I think the whole thing is quite impressive - not only are the shows are unusual and striking but the site - a dramatic former bauxite quarry - is remarkable in its own right.

It's likely to be busy, but the area is absolutely huge and can accommodate around 500 people easily without seeming crowded. If you are driving, it might be tricky to park -- arrive early. You can take in the nearby Les Baux de Provence on the same day and, if you intend to visit the chateau there, you can save money by buying a double ticket to it and the quarry. More about Les Baux http://bit.ly/onqJlI and about the Quarries of Lights http://bit.ly/zqe4z4

Mentioned in this post
Les Baux de Provence
Les Baux de Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Vaison-la-Romaine...
Level Contributor
262 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

We always go around noon - most people are at lunch then and it is never crowded.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

Thanks Anglaise and Platine,

Most helpful info about capacity and just being in the drama of that quarry. I've decided to go. We are renting in Maussane so we can easily manage our time of arrival.

ARDECHE

Provence
Level Contributor
812 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

When will you be here ?

There are to be special nights during the modern art festival A-part starting on July 5th and it might be a nice experience

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

I am presuming these are in the old "Cathedral d'Images" site. If so, it is unlikely to be just one show, but a series of continuous and changing images projected onto different walls of the various "rooms" in the quarry, which are underground, as in quarried into the side of a hill.

The experience of the "Cathedral" was wonderful. I recommend it highly.

http://carrieres-lumieres.com/

This was part of what we saw

http://tinyurl.com/d3tfxzx

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

I've interviewed Gianfranco Iannuzzi, who has designed all the shows at the Cathedral of Images / Quarries of Lights for very many years, as well as doing son et lumiere installations in Avignon and Aix (and all over the world). He's a pretty interesting guy. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/Mgut61

Lynn -- yes indeed, it's a 40 minute show on a continuous loop. You can enter at any point (though there is a chronological "narrative" to the Van Gogh / Gauguin film) and watch it through as many times as you like.

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,883 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

Anglaisea Thank you so much for that. I am thrilled that it has reopened and that the legal disputes seem to be finished. You know I learned of this while reading a novel where it was mentioned and we decided to visit. It was hard to find mention of it in a guide book but we just loved the experience.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

The other review hav e given an idea of what it is all about . But they have not even remotely said how great an experience it was . A very moving and fascinating sound and light show in a superb natural theatre . The reviewer that said it was expensive was just totally unreasonable . I am careful with money being a retired professional but it was one of the best spends on my whole 7 week European holiday . A faabulous experience --- DO NOT MISS IT !

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
833 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

Another recommendation for lunchtime/early afternoon.

The show is great and at the hottest time of day it's a welcome retreat from the heat!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Les Baux Sound and Light Show

yes its all and more the other posters have written.....and the metamorhosis showing is also good.

There was an opening of a new 'theme' being opened in October but know not of its makeup.

End of day after 4pm is a good time but you will need a jumper if not in Summer temps.

Reply to: Les Baux Sound and Light Show
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les Baux de Provence