We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging

Chico, California
Level Contributor
221 posts
95 reviews
Lodging

We will be in Provence for six nights in October, three nights in St. Saturin de Apt and two nights in Les Baux de Provence. I have one night I have not booked. Should I add another night to one of the above or spend a night somewhere completely different? We prefer the smaller villages. This is our first trip to the Provence area, We enjoy beautiful scenery, wine, relaxing and historical sights. Unfortunately, neither of us speak French, so we would prefer an inn or B&B were some English is spoken.

Please forgive my ignorance of this beautiful part of the world. All suggestions would be appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Lodging

Why not just spend another nighe in Les Baux-de-Provence? It beautiful, historical, and there are wonderful vineyards ( virtually all organic) nearby. You might want to check out Las Mas D'Aigret. It is situated just below the village, and many of the rooms are actually built into the limestone cliffs of the little Alps ( Les Alpilles).

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Lodging

Yes, I'd suggest another night in Les Baux -- there's a fair bit to see there, and it's also close enough for a day trip to Saint Remy if you run out of things to do. There's a huge installation of the French 20th century artist Arman all over Les Baux at the moment if you're interested in modern art - it's on till 16 Oct. In the autumn, there's a also show of contemporary santons, though I'm not sure when that starts. More about Arman in Les Baux: http://bit.ly/mRnbcO

Regarding wine, there are several good AOCs from Les Baux. I'm told that the white Les Baux wine has just been promoted to an AOC this year.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 13:45
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Lodging

By the way, if you wanted to splurge, there are two Michelin starred restaurant-hotels in Les Baux, both run by the same chap: L'Oustau de la Baumaniere and the Cabro d'Or.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Lodging

And, if you don't want to blow the bank dining at L'Oustau de Baumaniere or La Cabo d'Or, there are a number of really good restaurants in the nearby villages of Maussane-les-Alpilles and Paradou.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 18:26
Chico, California
Level Contributor
221 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Lodging

What helpful information. We do have two nights reserved at Hotel La Mas D'Aigret and I will try to book an additional night.

The town of Cassis interests me. Would that be to out of the way, or worthwhile visiting for one day and night?

Alpilles Gal: A couple of your restaurant recommendations would be appreciated, especially the "non break the bank" variety.

Again, thank you all.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,414 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Lodging

Head down the road to Fontvielle and have a meal at the Bistrot du Paradou. Afterward you might enjoy a visit to the nearby santon museum, which had an amazing display.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
221 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Lodging

One more question regarding lodging. I am trying to make a decision between Hotel La Bas D'Aigret and Benvengudo both in Les Baux de Provence. This is a hard decision as they both look wonderful and are somewhat different from each other. Any thoughts?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,414 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Lodging

Check out Le Ribot de Taven. A well travelled friend of mine has stayed there several times and raves about it.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Lodging

Hi again,

Regarding a place to stay, we loved La Mas d'Aigret in Les Baux, and would stay there again in a heartbeat if we didn't rent a house when we visit Provence.

As to where to dine when you are in the area, check out these places:

In Maussane:

Ou Ravi Provencau

Bistrot de la Petite France

Ou Ravi Provencau

La Pitchoune

Cafe du Centre

L'Oustaloun

In Paradou:

Bistrot du Paradou

Bistrot La Petite France

In Fontvielle:

Le Patio

La Table du Meunier

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Lodging

Re Cassis: it very much depends on whether you have a car - I wouldn't recommend it otherwise (Cassis is a bit over-rated IMO anyway). There is no station in Les Baux -- the nearest one is in Saint Martin le Crau, 8.5 miles away. And the regional rail service is poor - I went to Les Baux last week by rail from just outside Marseille and missed the connection in both directions due to late-running trains. Anyway here's some info on how to get to and from Les Baux (it's at the bottom of the page): http://bit.ly/onqJlI

BTW if you're interested in santons, there's a good museum in Les Baux itself, by the entrance to the village.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 12:33
Reply to: Lodging
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les Baux de Provence
More Les Baux de Provence Topics