We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden during holiday season, beginning of year?

Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Golden during holiday season, beginning of year?

My husband and I are looking to spend a little time away (from Calgary) during the Christmas/New Year time frame, possibly the first week of January. Trying to decide between Banff and Golden, or even other areas that we haven't considered. We would like to find a nice romantic cabin or similar lodging, to have a comfy place to just hang out, enjoy a fire, etc, but would also like to be somewhere where we could get out and walk around and do some things so we don't feel cooped up after a while. Have never been to Golden, so not sure if there is much to see/do in the winter, as we won' be skiing. Are there shops, other sights, etc besides skiing in that area? Picturesque views worth braving the cold to photograph? And are roads pretty accessible during the winter?

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden during holiday season, beginning of year?

Found this info for you :

hellobc.com/en-CA/…

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden during holiday season, beginning of year?

On our travel to the Rockies we stopped in Golden but weren't attracted to it at all. I could be wrong but I do have the impression there is not much to do at all (except skiing at Kicking Horse). Google "Golden Tourism" and you will find out.

Banff / Lake Louise area is absolutely beautifull. I was there both summer and winter and was even more impresses with winter scenery.

Both locations are well reachable from Calgary, highway is well maintained, also in winter. Banff is a nice little town, nice shops and restaurants. It is quite flat, so good for walking. Check out: http://www.banff.ca/visiting-banff.htm

and see what you can do. Snowshoeing might be good fun, or a dip in the Hot Springs ? Sulphur Mountain is open for sightseeing in winter.

Lake Louise (area) is nice too, however there is no town-centre, only a few stores for basic supplies (although the bakery is awesome and outdoor store has good selection). You will also find a few lodges in between Banff and Lake Louise.

As a skier I would choose to stay in Lake Louis, but as what you described I would go for Banff and make a daytrip to LL, the drive is gorgeous as is the lake and the hotel.

3. Re: Golden during holiday season, beginning of year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 19:45
Get answers to your questions about Golden