We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planned n Feb

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Planned n Feb

Will be visiting for one week in Feb. Damly of 4 with adult children. Won't have a car. Suggestions on planning our days/nights please.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

Are you staying in Port Coquitlam? I ask because this may affect transit info and planning your days...also what sort of things are you interested in? Sking, shopping, art galleries? We need a little more info to make reasonable suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Coquitlam
Coquitlam
British Columbia, Canada
Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

Thanks. Husband myself and 2 children (22 and 17) staying with my brother who recently had surgery so we dn't want to have him entertain us while we visi with him. He does live in Port Coquitlam. How mch is a taxi from the airport and how long is the drive there? Would like to do some shopping, visit to art galleries would be lovely. Any shows at night? Is public transport easily accessible? Zoos Museums? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Coquitlam
Coquitlam
British Columbia, Canada
vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

if your brother lives here wouldn't it more way more sense to just ask him your question

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,749 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

Port Coquitlam is a suburb of Vancouver, about 45 minutes out in good traffic. During the week, you can catch the West Coast Express train into town, but it has a very limited schedule due to commercial traffic on the same track. There is a Port Coquitlam station on the WCE line, and it is also served by a coach service that runs the same route by road to extend the train service. Taxi to/from airport would be about $50.

This is a nice area in itself. The city websites for Port Moody, Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam would give you some ideas, although February is not the best time to visit.

Here are some things to type in to Google and check out:

Minnekhada Lodge and Regional Park (not very transit accessible)

Pitt Lake and Grant Narrows Regional Park

Port Moody Museum and Rocky Point Park, Port Moody

Place des Arts, Coquitlam

Evergreen Cultural Centre, Coquitlam

If you take the WCE into the city, then most of the main tourist attractions are accessible to you from the Waterfront Station.

Mentioned in this post
Coquitlam
Coquitlam
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
West Coast Suites at UBC
West Coast Suites at UBC
188 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Rocky Point Park
Rocky Point Park
214 Reviews
Port Moody, Canada
Waterfront Station
Waterfront Station
92 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,030 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

Vancouverite 67 has pretty much covered the local scene.. you could also take a bus to skytrain and then get into Vancouver..I think a cab from the airport will actually run more like $60+ as I am in Port Moody and a cab to the airport from here is $50+

here is the link to BC Transit for trip planning

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

Weather in February can be anything from snow to sun and daffodils so be prepared...You could do a nice day trip by taking the Westcoast express train into town in the morning and then taking the seabus over to the north shore to visit Grouse Mountain ( if it's a sunny day), alternatively once downtown you can shop, visit Stanley park, Granville Island, Yaletown.. lots of options.

While the last West Coast Express train leaves downtown at about 6:20 there is an express bus service as well with an 8pm departure time which would give a you a good day in the city for info check on the bc transit site under west coast express bus....and as mentioned Skytrain to either Loughheed or Braid and then a bus should get you to Poco as well later in the evening.

Port Coquitlam has a new arts area called Leigh Square to check out.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Grouse Mountain
Grouse Mountain
4,400 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
23,899 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
15,827 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Yaletown
Yaletown
591 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
West Coast Suites at UBC
West Coast Suites at UBC
188 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Coquitlam
Coquitlam
British Columbia, Canada
Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

Thanks everyone for your advice. Our trip was planned and paid for before my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer - he is deteriorating daily I have not seen him for 9 years and I really don't want him to feel badly that he cannot entertain us as he always believes that he has to look after his little sister. I want to spend some time with him but also want him to believe that I know where am going and what I plan to do (while I am site seeing). May not make sense to some of you. I know him and he will feel badly that he can't drive us around and entertain us. I don't want to ask him these questions. I rather he relax and get better. Hope some of you understand. We have never been to Vancouver before - so I am trying to do some research so when we get there, I can be brave and bold and insist that he relax. Off course he wil be with us some times but I don't want texhaust him and I don't want to sit around and he feel badly that he cannot entertain. We don't want to put anyone out.Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,749 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

Ginger - I'm so pleased for you that you have been able to plan this trip, although it will be bittersweet for you. Of course, please consider us your extended family, and check in with questions, even while you are here. The Terry Fox library in Port Coquitlam will have free internet access if this is a concern for you. With only one week, under the circomstances, I expect you will spend a lot of time just visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Coquitlam
Coquitlam
British Columbia, Canada
8. Re: Trip Planned n Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 12:48
Get answers to your questions about Port Coquitlam
Recent Conversations
;