We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayak rentals

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
47 reviews
kayak rentals

we have a trip panned for end of August - and are planning on doing 4-5 days of short kayak rentals at various beaches around the lake. My research has found quite a few places from South Lake Tahoe around the lake. We don't mind the drive - so what are your favorite places to rent a kayak from say one hour to a half-day rental? Your experiences will be our guide to choosing these beaches.

Many thanks to you all in advance !!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: kayak rentals

We rent from Action Watersport in Incline Village on the border of the Hyatt property. Like to paddle around the Million Dollar homes around the lake, to Sand Harbor.

http://www.awsincline.com/

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: kayak rentals

No argument from me on the above recommendation. Another great place to kayak is Emerald Bay. You can see the castle and the neat little island.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
972 posts
3. Re: kayak rentals

Good recommendations above. The West side generally has better wind and shade considerations, especially in the afternoons.

OE

Edited: 19 May 2016, 22:30
Arizona
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: kayak rentals

thank you all - I know Emerald Bay is one I saw, but not sure I checked Incline Village - sounds nice!

thanks - hopefully a few more folks will chime in with their faves.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: kayak rentals

The only thing about Emerald Bay, was that you had to get there early to find parking, hike to the bottom to be able to rent the kayaks, but once there it was a great excursion. We packed a lunch and had a picnic on the island. Of course all our trash went back into a backpack to be taken away. Really a special day.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
972 posts
6. Re: kayak rentals

If you can find a way to transport a rental kayak, there are numerous beautiful small lakes nearby which provide some variety: www.alllaketahoe.com/lakes_rivers_falls/ Some of these lakes may have rentals on location. Also, the scenic Truckee river has many picnic spots plus porta-potties, avoid weekends if the rafting company ever goes back into operation. The Truckee, and Echo would be my favorites in addition to above previously mentioned areas, better than the rest of Lake Tahoe IMHO.

OE

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: kayak rentals

so far - I've got Meeks Bay, Camp Richardson, Sand Harbor State Park, Zepher Cove and Sugar Pine State park - all with kayak rentals. Kayak Tahoe advertises 5 locations on their website. I'm adding Incline Village too. I'd like any more input if possible or reviews of these areas.

many thanks - now that I'm back at work, and our trip to Zion and Bryce is complete - time to keep researching the Tahoe adventure !!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: kayak rentals

Sand Harbor has outstanding conditions, as mentioned above. Plus facilities for eating, restrooms, showers and beaches to lay on. I've even snorkeled there the past few summers. Looking forward to doing so again this July!

guadalajara
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: kayak rentals

Check on www.getmyboat.com

In some places they do list kayak's

Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: kayak rentals

Lurking on your thread! Planning a 3-day trip for S. Lake Tahoe May 28 of 2017... and would love to take advantage of your experience. After you go, would you please reply back with which of these trips you liked best/why? I am thinking we will hike mt. tallac one day, then kayak the next day... maybe Sand Harbor to experience a different side? Anyway, will love to hear what you find. Does anyone know if water is too cold in late May to enjoy kayaking then?

Get answers to your questions about South Lake Tahoe