We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Time/Recs/advice

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Great Time/Recs/advice

Just returned after an amazing trip to South Lake Tahoe.

Harveys Hotel- The hotel location was perfect but hotel was a little old. We stayed on the 18th floor with Lake view which was really nice but the rest of the room was pretty out dated. Still decent stay though

Restaurants- We ate at California Burger Co, Base Camp Pizza, Gun Barrel, Izabella Italian, McP's Taphouse Grill. All were good; really liked having drinks outside at California Burger (fire pits/outdoor seating), Basecamp Pizza and Gun Barrel had live music daily and great outdoor seating/firepits.

Skiing

Sierra at Tahoe- My wife took a lesson at Sierra at Tahoe and really enjoyed it. "Chief" was her instructor's name and would highly recommend him to others. Sierra had lots of green and blue runs which was nice for a beginner. Lift tickets were $73 onilne.

Heavenly- what an amazing MT! The lake views were like Heaven! The MT was pretty difficult though for beginners. I would suggest beginners start somewhere different like Sierra at Tahoe then try Heavenly after gaining a little experience. Overall I loved Heavenly and would highly recommend it for all skiers. The gondola ride up was pretty cool also but pricey. Gondola ride is included with lift ticket ($120) or can buy just Gondola ticket for $54. Heavenly tickets were expensive but MT was amazing.

Emerald Bay- rented a car and drove to Emerald Bay. Only about a 30 minute drive from South Lake and was beautiful! Well worth the trip up in the MT's. The view and crystal blue lake were awesome!

I want to thank all you guys for the recommendations and suggestions on this forum. It was very helpful and made the trip worthwhile! keep up the good work!

Pat from Chicago!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Time/Recs/advice

Thanks for the review! As you know everyone here's a volunteer who loves to share their local knowledge. Your review is our reward.

Come back to Tahoe sometime in the summer, it's beautiful and you can even "swim" in the lake!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,936 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Time/Recs/advice

Glad to hear it all worked out for you both. So was your wife able to go on a run with lake views after all? If so which one? What about your ski rentals? Which place did you end up using? Thanks for the report.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Time/Recs/advice

HA well funny thing about the wife!

She took a private lesson at Sierra and it was really helpful. The last run of the day she took a small spill and injured her hand between her skis! It was not broken but needed to be in a splint the rest of the trip. So... she never skied Heavenly; she got mani/pedi's while I skied :)

I myself loved Ridge Run at Heavenly, great views of the lake. I do think it would have been a little difficult for her though.

Ski rental- We ended up renting from Powder House and were very happy with them. Had no issues with the equipment and they were very accommodating with pickup/drop off times. After my wife's injury on day 1; they were even willing to reimburse us the remaining two days of her ski rental since she would not be able to use the equipment. So HIGHLY recommend Powder House as they were really nice people!

and Yes we both said we definitely want to visit again in the summer as we have heard its beautiful then too!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Time/Recs/advice

Thanks for getting back to us. We often stayed at Harvey's 20-25 years ago. The lakefront building was really nice and new then. They say it's gone downhill since Harrah's took over Harvey's.

Glad you enjoyed Heavenly for your visit. Great Lake views. My family won't ski there anymore, but we stay at the north shore now and there are 12 ski area to choose from. They like to rotate them.

So sorry about your wife, but she probably enjoyed her spa services too!

Thanks for getting back to us!

5. Re: Great Time/Recs/advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2018, 10:47