We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Sikkim in March 2012

Pune, India
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Topic
North Sikkim in March 2012

HI!

I am planning to visit North Sikkim (Lachen, Lachung, Gurudongmar Lake, Yumthang and Zero Point) in March 2012. I wanted to know if it is possible to travel to these places in mid March 2012 after the earthquake. I read a lot on various travel sites that the roads are in bad condition and it is not possible to go beyond Lachen and Lachung. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Nikita

Mumbai, India
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

hi, even I shall be travelling solo in mid march..ya, earthquake was bad..it hurts..still...

if the roads are broken after lachung, i prefer to hike and walk through...

am from Sikkim, currently in Mumbai..heard the BRO are toiling hard out to fix the roads..hopefully it opens..if interested let know

Gangtok, India
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

18 September, 2011 Earthquake (6.9 Magnitude) was the most terrifying one that hit Himalayan State Sikkim in recent times. Our generation has never experienced an earthquake like this before,

Honestly, some part of the road are bumpy as compared before 18th sep earthquake hit. But our government and BRO (Border Road Organisation) with their great effort had opened the Road to North Sikkim, Lachung and Lachen within one month and with well planed construction for the safety of villagers and for tourist.

So therefore their is no danger to visit North Sikkim (Mini switzerland) .

YOUR SAFETY IS OUR FIRST PREFERENCE..

Rourkela, India
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

Hi,

I too planning to visit Sikkim, especially North Sikkim around mid March with my wife and one another couple. Had a talk with some hotel owners, they told its possible, till Yumthang it is possible for sure. For Gurudongmar Lake, depends upon the weather around that time. Anyways, I am going through the www.sikkimroads.net for roads update, have a look at them. If any update u get, let me know at gautam_rourkela@yahoo.in. Had been to Sikkim number of times, had not been around that time.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

The road restoration still in progress. Hopefully, will be completed by March. If possible, make it in April to get favourable weather for Gurudongmar.

AshisRoy

Edited: 17 February 2012, 20:11
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

Ashis da,

Still now also Lachen road is blocked, whether it'll open in April last week 24-26, is there any prediction, we are touring on that time. Lachung is open. we are visiting gangtok, north sikkim (2N 2D) and peiling if lachen is not possible can you suggest some other sight seeing spot for one full day instead of lachen. Whether kallingpong will be good option??

Pls reply

Nayan

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

Nayan

The road to Lachen will be open within a week. Hopefully, you'll get it open in April end. The road will get blocked if rain comes again.

You can visit Yuksom with overnight stay, if Lachen is not possible.

AshisRoy

Edited: 12 April 2012, 11:54
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

Do you know something about hotel Tashi Norling in Gangtok, Hotel Pemasonam in peiling and Hotel Royal Oak in Lachung. Yuksom is how far away from gangtok whether same day return is possible afater tour?

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

The mentioned hotels are not known to me. Yuksom is not possible in day tour from Gangtok. You may come there from Gangtok, enjoy soft trek amidst of serene nature, stay overnight proceed for NJP/Bagdogra next day.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 16:26
MUMBAI
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

Is there any idea whether the road of Lachen is open or not, last week I got info about Lachung is open but lachung is not open pls tell me now the roads are open or not.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,881 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Sikkim in March 2012

Both Lachen and Lachung are open till date, but roads are closed beyond that. As per last information received from the authority, the roads are likely to be open within next 3 days.

AshisRoy

Edited: 17 April 2012, 11:32
Get answers to your questions about Lachen
More Lachen Topics