We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

Hi! We are traveling back to the Seattle airport from Coeur d'Alene Idaho and have one day/night to check out another area on our trip. I would love the best mountain view that is possible even if we have to go a half hour or so out of our way on our way back to Seattle...we were going to visit Leavenworth but have since been told that it's quite touristy and we'd prefer not to go that route. Open to any suggestions! We were just in DT Seattle last year so probably don't want to do that again ...thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

Leavenworth is very touristy (many love it despite that) but it makes the most sense, especially if you want to only go 30 minutes out of your way (even Leavenworth will be more than that). I can't think of anything else in or near the mountains that would work for you--our mountains are quite undeveloped (it's not like Colorado, where they are covered with huge resorts, outlet malls, etc) and so there just aren't many towns around. The only other thing I can think of is to see if you can get accommodation at Mt Rainier. But, that is a lot more than a half hour out of your way, and obviously there will be lots of tourists there, though of course it's not kitschy like Leavenworth is.

Do you have an entire extra day? The hamlet of Mazama would be another option if you had more time; then you'd drive over the very scenic North Cascades Hwy on the way to Seatac. But you'll have to map the distances to see if it works, and if it would leave you any time to actually enjoy the area.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

Right, a half hour won't get you anything; it's barely a 5-hour drive in the first place, so I'm inclined to suggest you just spend another night in CdA.

One alternative that would certainly deliver on the scenery front would be to head west to Ellensburg, then hop south to Yakima and take US 12 up toward White Pass. There are lodgings in Yakima itself (around 3 hours from CdA) or in Naches or White Pass. whitepassbyway.com/whitepassbywaylodgingmap.…

The next day, loop through Mt. Rainier National Park - Stevens Canyon Road to Paradise, then out to the west - en route to the airport. http://gardyloo.us/20120903_677s.JPG

Here's a map - https://goo.gl/maps/IQBAj

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

ibgardyloo has some good ideas or you could stay in Spokane Valley and see things within and hour or more around there. Lots of different places you could go in that time frame, and yes it's about 4.30 four hours 30 minutes from Spokane to Seattle. What would you like to see, scenic yes but for wild life, trees or just a mountain experience.

Collie

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

The OP has two postings with the same question and, addressing now Anienyc, you'll have to track all of these and other ideas, cut and paste, and post back, with ideas/questions and please, post only on the WA State Forum. It'll make life, yours and ours, easier. Thanks.

Edited: 12 August 2015, 04:00
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

@voyaging, what do you mean by the OP and that I should only post on the WA forum?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?

Sorry, you are the OP, the Original Post(er). Believe me, it's not a derogatory term. :)

One need only post on the WA State forum because all posts come under that title (especially where you'll be traveling the state). And many of us know the surrounding areas, as when I suggested a route through Oregon.

So, posting in both the Spokane Valley and the State forums does not add to your audience, but it did lead to two sets of responses where respondents might not know, and might duplicate, what others already have suggested. In short, it's less efficient for you and for us.

If you were asking about, say, Seattle, you could post either on the WA State forum or the Seattle Forum, but only post once. The key thing is, that posted titles should be clear, as is yours.

Anyway, you have several routes from which to choose and you'll find all scenic in their own way.

Edited: 12 August 2015, 09:56
Reply to: Good place to stay betewen Idaho and Seattle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spokane Valley