We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Mount...in the dark?!

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The Mount...in the dark?!

Hey guys, strange one this but has anyone tried going up / down the Mount during night or dusk hours? Is it even possible? Was a thought that came in for New Year that's all!

Cheers guys!

11 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

Some people died on the mount some years ago. It does have cliff faces etc so you would want very good headlamps.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

The area is not that attractive I wouldn't bother.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

At New Years I'd say there will be a steady stream of people going up the Mount. Take a good torch and you'll be fine. The views from up there are fantastic day or night.

Tauranga, Bay of...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

Mmm have you actually been there! Can't imagine why you'd say it's not attractive - the views are absolutely amazing, and it's a great place to be at night. Do suggest you keep to the paths/steps and ensure you have a torch - a fantastic place to see the sunsetting and rising ...

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
273 posts
754 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

I agree with Sarah B the views are great, nothing un attractive about the place at all. Walking up on New Years Eve you will find plenty of people about, especially at the bottom. The Mount is a very busy place on New Years Eve, with many roads closed to keep control of traffic etc. But still plenty of parking and not a long walk to get to the base and up the Mount. It would pay to take a torch as trails are good, but just to be safe it would be better. There are a choice of tracks up the Mount and you get different views from each track.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

You will definitely need a torch and a head torch is best. I have walked up & down the Mount many times during the hours of darkness to catch a sunrise or after sunset, both of which are spectacular. The rustling in the undergrowth you may hear towards the top is either possums or rabbits, no cause for alarm. It's best to do it with somebody else rather than on your own, for safety reasons mainly & if it's near sunrise be prepared for people to suddenly appear on the path, many run up for their daily exercise (although I doubt many on NY eve/day)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
277 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

Just take a torch or headlamp and walk up the road. The track/road is a good one. I wouldn't recommend going up one of the steeper side tracks, but if you go up the access road (which is the most popular track to the top) you should be fine. I also wouldn't recommend doing it alone.

On a clear and well moonlit night the view will be fantastic.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
277 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

I seriously doubt that Aussieastrogirl from Jervis Bay hasn't ever been to Mount Maunganui, and certainly hasn't walked the track around or up it - at any time of the day or night.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

Hi metal-"the mount" at new years i have to say is pretty frantic /hectic at new years.-from midday New Years eve till roughly 2.00pm the next day

as someone else has posted the roads are closed to anyone except people actually staying down there so it can be a fair hike just getting to the mount.

The veiws are just fantastic. so its well worth going up there.

If you stick to the track its a fairly easy -(but suprisingly long) walk.

I must caution you that at night straying off the path really isn't clever because it would in places be fairly easy to hurt yourself quite badly.

My wife and I did that walk three years ago on new years day -and stayed in the motel right by the mount itself.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Mount...in the dark?!

The original post was made way back in December 2013 so I would imagine that Metallimaniac has either done or not done the walk by now. It is a pity that he or she did not return to let us know if they enjoyed it or not.

Reply to: The Mount...in the dark?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Maunganui
More Mount Maunganui Topics