We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Good afternoon!

My fiance and I are highly considering a two week safari and Cape Town honeymoon next August. I realize that this is a popular type of trip so I thought I'd ask - how do you pack for both?

I have heard (and I have to do tons of research, I'm sure) that when you go on safari, you should pack light - but how do you pack when you want to have a combination of city, beach, and safari in a two week stay?

Does anyone have a sample list of items or even an itinerary for this type of a trip? We're young, looking for a lot of adventure, and want to make the most of our trip. It's our dream destination and if we can make it happen budget wise, we want to get started and book immediately!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Correction, we're looking into going in September because we read September is a good time to see big game.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
123 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

We're not young, and have only been twice, but the main thing is layers. It is quite cold on safari in the early morning and evening, though they do provide ponchos and blankets, but you really need gloves and a hat and scarf. Depending where you are going on Safari, it doesn't mean you can't have loads of luggage. We had two large suitcases between us plus hand baggage and when you reach your safari destination they take it all off you and ferry it to your lodge/accommodation. Check with your safari destination about luggage. As far as itinerary is concerned, stay in CT for a few days, perhaps with day trips to the peninsular and winelands, then set off on the garden route via Hermanus (whale watching), Knysna (bunji jumping etc. within an hour's travel plus ostriches, Elephant sanctuaries). Depends where you are having your safari - lots of good places in Eastern Cape near Port Elizabeth. Happy to help where I can but it all depends on your budget and what you like doing, and the Destination Experts will be much better at me than giving you guidance

Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
3. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Hi

Planning your trip is very exiting. I have come across this post with clothing and temperatures http://www.cvsafaris.co.za/?page=Climate+%2F+Packing+List+%2F+Medical

They talk about Khaki coloured clothing. We need the experts but I don't think you need to go and buy new stuff if you have the basics.

Have fun planning

Johan Horak - Cape Town Holiday Accommodation

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
49 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Hi there,

I cannot tell you much about the Capetown weather during this time, as I am yet to visit in September, but I know that it is generally quite windy down there.

I can, however, tell you ALL about the bush, as I live right here!

Around September, it is usually chilly until around 9 or 10 am, then it warms up beautifully, then gets chilly again at around 4 or so. I generally spend my morning in long pants & a tshirts, or shorts and a jersey.

We are big on layers - the more the better, as the morning safaris and night time safaris (especially when the wind is blowing!) can be VERY chilly. I would suggest a tshirt, jersey, and windproof jacket & a scarf (some people like to wear beanies and gloves too!) and long warm pants for the night drive, or medium shorts-light pants for the morning drive. Most lodges provide you with blankets too.

It's not necessary to buy brand new khaki gear - although this is sometimes part of the fun! But as I say, it's not 100% necessary unless you plan to do a bush walk, then I would recommend it. Normal clothes, and less bright colors are good.

LAYERS ARE THE KEY :-)

Which bush area are you thinking of going to?

Best of luck, and ENJOY!

Jacqui

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

We're not sure, we're in the beginning parts of planning.

We wanted to do safari, have some city life and some beach time so we wanted to be able to dress up, dress casually, and be in beach wear. I guess we were concerned for no reason about having to pack light.

We're open to suggestions about where to go but would really love to see Cape Town, the wineries, etc. What would be the best safari options and mid range places to stay lodge-wise? We don't have a super high budget (don't know what it is yet) but we realize this trip will be expensive. Any and all help would be great, we're open to ideas. This will probably be one of our biggest trips ever and we couldn't think of a better place for our honeymoon. Thanks so much for all of your help so far!

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
49 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Also, in terms of bush/beach/city packing, the only sort 'specialty' gear you will need are your safari clothes, as these will probably we warmer than the rest.

So, I would suggest (and this is assuming you will have access to a laundry facility, which most good safari lodges do offer)

When I lived overseas and did the above combination, this is what I would pack (and I am a female :-) ):

- Jeans x2

- Shorts x4

- Warm pants (khaki, sweat pants etc) x1

- T shirts & singlets (as many as you want here, my bet is this is what you will be spending a lot of time in)

- Long sleeve shirt x2

- Jersey x3

- Jacket x1-2

- Shoes (Depending on what type of person you are, of course, and your activities: Are you going to be hiking in Cape Town, and going on a walking safari? If so, put away one pair of high heels and swap it for a good pair of walking boots!) and of course, normal every day shoes.

- A few comfortable pairs of socks

- If you are planning on clubbing or hitting the bars in cape town, then a dress or two - CT is very trendy.

- Of course, your personal bits & pieces

- Swim suit x2

- Mozzie spray!

The rest will be journey specific :-)

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
49 reviews
25 helpful votes
7. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Parle, you have a few options in terms of accommodation:

1. Stay within the Kruger Park

This is not ultimate luxury, and there are A LOT of people, but it is a good experience, however you must self drive and book very far in advance.

2. Stay at a private reserve

This is my personal favourite. For you, for a mid range budget, I would recommend the Klaserie reserve, and in particular: Africa on Foot or nThambo Tree Camp. They are both wonderful, and give a true wilderness experience. Included in your rate here is all meals, 2 game drives a day, bush walks (see animals up close on foot) and tea/coffee, and usually your night drive drinks.

3. Stay outside the Kruger Park & Self Drive in

Alternatively, you could stay in a self catering place, such as Swagat Lodge which is very popular, (http://mykrugerlodge.com/) and drive yourself into the Kruger Park every day, eat your meals at a restaurant within the park (or pack lunch) and drive out of the park at the end of the day.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

So how many days would you allocate for each?

Cape Town

Beach (Which beaches / resort areas are good to stay in if we want nothing but a few days of beach relaxation and beach related activities)

Safari

We have two weeks.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

Lodgetrackers - Sent you a message, thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
28 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Safari / Cape Town Honeymoon
Save

No need to worry about packing. You will be fine. Layers, layers...as everyone has suggested.

You can easily do a mix of the big cities and the bush. You will certainly enjoy the combination.

If you are interested in a self-drive safari or self-catering options, there are some good options for you.

Others like Jacqui at Lodgetrackers and BwanaDave are much more knowledgeable about the private reserves. You have some time to gather information and decide what suits your needs and budget the best.

Best to book early to get your dates and your first priority in terms of accommodations. You may already know this but SA school holidays are from the 20th September to the 1st of October so places like Kruger can get booked up fast. Thought I'd let you know.

Cheers!