We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

The only supermarkets we've come across in Cape Town are Pick 'n Pay. Most of them, in our view (coming from Turkey, US and Canada), carry a very limited selection.

For example, there are no juices that are REALLY 100%. They all have some sort of preservatives and flavour additives. Same goes for everything in the store, except fresh produce. Choice of eggs (no organic) is limited. All yoghurts have a tonne of preservatives, antifungal, colourants, flavour additives, etc. As I was struggling to choose something to buy, I felt I was taking part in a science experiment instead of choosing food. Checking these chemicals online also showed that some of them were prohibited by EU and FDA to be used in food...

Are there stores or supermarkets anywhere around Cape Town or Hout Bay that carry a less chemical-ized selection of foods?

Thank you in advance for your help!

K

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

For fruit juices, I suggest as soon as oranges come into season, you buy a pocket and squeeze your own.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Try Woolworths Foods. Their stuff comes with so much packaging though, that it is more environmentally unfriendly.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Thank you, I'll try. And yes, for juices that might be the best in any case.

Are there organic markets/supermarkets in the area with a big-ish selection of fresh produce, dried goods, meat, and dairy? Also looking for some cleaning supplies and baby stuff...

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Organic isn't big in South Africa.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Some of the Spar supermarkets sell products from local organic suppliers. Some also squeeze oranges instore for you. Also do a search for suppliers/distributors on: http://www.go-organic.co.za/

I have friends who use some of the organic delivery box schemes in CT. See: http://www.urbansprout.co.za/directory/activity/box+delivery+schemes/western+cape

However, you may just need to accept that it's not possible to buy everything you want under 1 and that you have to shop around a bit.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Under 1 roof!

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Thanks! We'll be sure to check them out!

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

Wellness Warehouse in Kloof Street has about the best selection of healthy food stuffs. Located in the Kloof Street Centre.

www.wellnesswarehouse.com

9. Re: Healthier supermarkets in Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:11