We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel parking

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Hotel parking

I'm trying to choose a hotel in the City Bowl (also called the CBD) area. Some offer secure parking and others say that parking on the street isn't an issue. Is street parking difficult to find? Is it likely to have a break-in? Obviously there can be no guarantees, but in general is it reasonable to park on the street overnight if nothing is left visible in the vehicle?

Thanks,

Renee

5 replies to this topic
Hout Bay, South...
Level Contributor
612 posts
1 review
1. Re: Hotel parking

I would not take the chance IMHO. Better to be secure than sorry.Especially with a rental car. Check with your hotel in secured parking options. Either the hotel has parking or there is a parking garage near it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
1 review
2. Re: Hotel parking

Agree with Jonathan

But why do you want to be in the CBD if I may ask?

There are much nicer locations, which aren't that much further away. And since you will have a car, transport won't be an issue anyway.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Hotel parking

No. It is not reasonable to park in the street. You need secure parking.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Hotel parking

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not off base wanting secure parking!

Art V, You have a good point about the area of town. I have been focusing on the CBD for several reasons. Partly that most of what we want to do is in that general area so that we wouldn't need to spend as much time going from hotel to activity. Also, our daughter is fascinated by downtowns of large cities. However, with the prices I'm finding for places in the CBD I have been wondering a bit if maybe we need to rethink the importance of these reasons.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Hotel parking

The CBD, in my opinion, does not have much charm and going from hotel to activity is not a valid reason as most tour companies collect you from your hotel, the hop on hop off bus is available for sightseeing and stops at most "touristy" places and taxis, including Uber, are inexpensive. You can also not walk around in the city at night.

My recommendation would be to find yourself a nice Bed and Breakfast (they are much less expensive and more personal) either on the Atlantic Seaboard, Cape Quarter (within walking distance of CBD), Gardens, Tamboerskloof or Waterfront.

Reply to: Hotel parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted