We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Topic
Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

We are a group of 4 retirees, going to take a 13 days cruise from Sydney to New Zealand and back to Sydney in Sept. this year.

1. If we fly Virgin Australia from Cairns to Sydney (Terminal 2), the ETA is: 3:35 pm. Can we get to cruise ship's pier before 4:30 pm by Taxi/Uber ?

2. After cruise, if the ship docked at 6:00 AM, can we have enough time to get to Sydney airport (Terminal 1) to take the fly back to LAX, the ETD is: 10:30 am by Taxi/Uber?

Is there any better way to satisfy the limited time schedule?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Michael,

26 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Just a question ... what plans do you have if the Cairns to Sydney flight is delayed by anything more than 10 mins ... are you planning to watch the ship leave the harbour or just go find a hotel?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

If your ETA into sydney is 3:35 and your bang on time - if you dont have any checked luggage (anything over 7KG will need to be checked) you will be on a train / taxi by 3:45...

If you have to check your luggage you will not be as quick and will NOT make it.

Now if you dont have checked luggage it depends if its a week day or a weekend. Saturday and Sunday at 3:45pm the traffic isnt too bad and I'd be confident in getting from the airport to circular quay in less than 45 minutes... If its a week day, all bets are off.. traffic can be (and more often than not is) an absolutely nightmare in and around the CBD and 4pm is approaching peak hour...

As above response from able asks - what if you flight is delayed by 10 or even 20 minutes... you wont make 4:30 to circular quay..

The return leg, is fine. 4.5 hours is easily enough time to get to the airport and check in...

Edited: 03 August 2018, 04:39
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Last time we ordered a UBER at Sydney it took 20 mins to arrive.

We have given up on them and simply use the train.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 04:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

you could also catch the train but sometimes you also have to wait up to 14 minutes for those too..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Are you sure your departing boats go fom Circular Quay?

In any case, your 1 hour connection is too tight.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

You have not confirmed which cruise terminal your ship will use.

If you don't know, these people do. Search for your ship's departure on the website

https:/…

I am presuming the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay. If so, train is the quickest.

The airport has 2 railway stations. One for domestic and one for international. There is a train about every 10 minutes from the domestic or international terminal to Circular Quay railway station. The trip in the train takes about 20 minutes.

However, it is outside my comfort zone. I personally would be arriving in the morning and seeking an 11am boarding and be on the ship enjoying the facilities, including having lunch on board.

I would be fairly happy about making the 10.30am departure when you dock.

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Dear Big_Jim_61,

The ship is Majestic Princess of Princess Cruises, will dock at OPT, Circular Quay. Thanks for your advice, I think we'll take the train from Sydney Airport terminal 1 directly to the ship. The plane scheduled to land @ 3:35 pm, we hope we can collect the check-in luggages around 4:00 pm and walk to train station and HOPE (it's a big hope) to get to the ship before 4:30 pm. I wish!

How far from airport terminal 2 (luggages collection) to the train station and how far from train station to the ship? is that an easy walking distance?

We can change the flight to one day earlier but the cost is high, US$248 per couple. We are discussing how to save the money and the risk of being late to the ship. The lesson to be learn here, we all need more time to be easy on life!

Thanks for your advices, Big_Jim_61.

Michael

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Dear Bokhara,

YES, the ship will be on OPT, Circular Quay.

I know by now, It's too tight for us (all U 70) :(

Thanks,

Michael

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Dear Steve,

Oh, we didn't count that 14' in our timing. I think we have to re-schedule the fly to one day earlier even it's costly. (US$ 248 per couple)

Thanks,

Michael

San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.

Dear Able58,

This trip is our very first first to Australia, a lot of things to be learned. We should take train if we can.

Thanks

Reply to: Uber services from Sydney AIrport to and from Cruise ship.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted