We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leech socks

Level Contributor
74 posts
46 reviews
leech socks

hi everyone!

i’ll be heading to khao sok in the last week of june and doing some trekking. one thing that has been causing me a significant amount of headache; leeches.

i’ve been looking for leech socks in singapore and nobody seems to have even heard of them.

would anyone know whether they are readily available i. khao sok itself?

thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: leech socks

I am not aware of leech socks being avaialble in Khao Sok. There are only a few small local shops in Khao Lak Village. According to Google there appear to be a number of places in Singapore where they are available.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
2. Re: leech socks

You can buy leech socks in Khao Sok village easily enough. One shop advertises them with a sign outside the front door and I doubt they're the only place selling them.

If you go on a guided tour they'll usually supply the leech socks (they're not new) for free.

I don't really understand the point of leech socks because the leeches just crawl up them and then you get them on your stomach instead of your ankles. And if you want leech socks why not just tuck your trousers into your socks, does exactly the same job.

Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
3. Re: leech socks

Take some insect repellant with you and apply regularly, especially on your legs, they don't like the taste of it :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
495 posts
4. Re: leech socks

They dont hurt but take tissues to mop up the blood

Level Contributor
74 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: leech socks

just an update for anyone looking for leech socks!

we managed to get them in KS town. I think they were 200baht and they come in a few colours and sizes. and yes, we did encounter quite a number of leeches. insect repellent does scare them off, but they move so fast that you have to have a can of bug spray ready at all times to fend them off before they burrow into your shoe.

north vancouer
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: leech socks

Did you encountered him at any specific time of year?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
7. Re: leech socks

leeches are worst in rainy season and in early morning. they like damp ground. by the afternoon the ground is drier (assuming no rain and some sun).

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,552 posts
8. Re: leech socks

Would you rather have them latch on to somewhere along your leg or because they can't bite through the material continue crawling to more sensitive locations?

Edited: 28 October 2018, 15:24
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
9. Re: leech socks

yes that's my reasoning too. they do leave a scar which takes a few weeks to heal - better to have that on your ankle than above your waistline.

i've had some success with coating/soaking my socks with insect repellent as well as putting the repellent on my legs.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
37 posts
139 reviews
10. Re: leech socks

Thanks for posting your experience! Does anyone have experience with hiking in the dry season? I'll be in Khao Sok in March so am hoping I'll miss the leeches... =/

Edited: 31 October 2018, 12:17
Reply to: leech socks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted