We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico

Hi!

A friend and I will be traveling to Mexico at the end of October/beginning of November this year.

We will be flying into Campeche and hope to travel to my husband's hometown (Maya Tecun) which is about an hour away from Champoton via bus. Our plan is to go to his town for a few days, stop in Champoton for 1 or 2 days and finish our trip back in Campeche.

We definitely do not have a big budget and plan on staying in AirBnB instead of hotels (for saving money of course).

Does anyone have any experience in Champoton and Campeche? Where should we eat? Any places of those cities that are better to stay in? Any recommendations on places that are "safe" to eat would be appreciated. I'm very worried about getting sick to my stomach while there. I keep eating "Don't drink anything with ice in it!" "Don't get cilantros on your tacos!" "Don't eat at street food vendors!" I eat a lot of Mexican food here from taco trucks and I couldn't even imagine not getting to eat the REAL deal while I'm there.

Any suggestions on how not to get sick and any suggestions on places to go/things to see, would be great!!

4 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,153 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico

I wouldn't go to Champoton unless I could eat at what I would consider Street vendors. To me the most enjoyable thing about the town is eating it all the little shrimp stands Landing the waterfront. Really great, cheap Seafood.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
2. Re: Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico

Thanks for the reply, I can only imagine the seafood is fresh there! Sounds like you’ve had luck there.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,153 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico

Yes and it is one of my favorite places for plentiful, fresh cheap Seafood. I'm sure you will enjoy.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico

I wouldn't worry about food in any different way to home. Look around, if it looks dirty or in any way, 'wrong', move on. Because no one uses tap water here, ice is always purified water and food is washed safely. I haven't yet been sick from food anywhere in Mexico.

However, in Campeche, I recently ate at one of the touristy seafood restaurants along the beginning of the malecon and had to send the food back twice because it was inedible. My kids' food was incredibly salty too there. I'd be wary because the food was rubbish not because it'd make me sick! https:/… In this link I mentioned one pretty good sea food restaurant in town that I would recommend trying.

Reply to: Suggestions for Champoton and Campeche Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Campeche
More Campeche Topics