We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in campeche

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
2 days in campeche

Hi !

I will be in campeche in the 2nd week of october, along with my sister. This will be our first time in Mexico, and unfortunately we only have time to do the yucatan peninsula. We are spending a few days in Playa del carmen and Tulum, but we have heard these towns don't have the genuine mexican feel; hence making a stop in campeche. Do you suggest any other town in Yucatan where we can experience a more authentic; less commercialized Mexican culture ?

Do you guys have a hotel suggestion for Campeche which is best located to explore the town on foot ? What are the day trips we can do from Campeche ?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,105 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in campeche

I have enjoyed Campeche somewhat in the past but really for the real Mexican feel, I enjoy Mérida or Valladolid more.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: 2 days in campeche

The Castelmar is a nice hotel. It's an old army building, some great suites in there. I've also stayed at the Hotel Socaire, which was very nice as well. Both of these are probably in the $60/night range.

Campeche is a very pretty place, brightly colored buildings and a nice area to walk along the water. You won't see a lot of other tourists there. Things to see include the forts, maya museum downtown, the various bastions. Edzna is a very nice Mayan ruin that would be a good half-day trip.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in campeche

We spent a month in the Yucatan peninsula last winter. Izamal was our favorite city. We spent 3 nights and wished we had time to stay longer. We loved the feel of the town, the photogenic yellow buildings, the ruins within the town, the market and simply walking the streets. We stayed at Rinconada del Convento (beautiful room and pool) for $60 CAN/night.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: 2 days in campeche

Campeche is nice but we liked Merida more. Much more to do and see.Easier to reach if you are using the bus too. What are your other stops?

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
5. Re: 2 days in campeche

Watch this hotel - I realize it's nice and they have positive reviews - but beware... While in Merida for a month recently, we went online and grabbed a booking.com 'no changes or cancels' deal - which is offerred by Socaire on-going - for our 3 day visit to Campehe. I accidently selected 12/28 instead of 11/28 for the reservation. I immediately submitted a request for an exception from booking.com with full explanation. I also immediately e-mailed and called the hotel reservations clerk directly (at the hotel) and explained we meant to book 11/28, not 12/28. (Note: 11/28 was in 5 days and they had 7 rooms available on this deal still). He "confirmed" he was the decision maker but would not let us change our date and we would be charged for 12/28 (which was over a month in advance). We literally had the conversation... 'would they rather lose our business on the 11/28 - as we wanted to stay at their hotel still - and take our money for 12/28 even though we wouldn't even be in the country?' ...and he actually said "yes". (This was not a language barrier - he understood me and he was quite clear as I validated every part of this full conversation.) Legally they can do this, I understand, but beware this is how their customer service operates. I spend months in the Yucatan on-giong and I will continue to share this experience in both languages. I've never dealt with any lodging anywhere in the world that was this unreasonable and less interested in future business.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: 2 days in campeche

Www.H177hotel.com is a beautiful and reasonable local hotel to stay at within Campeche's old wall! (Note: my previous review about the poor experience with hotel Socaire.) Hotel "H177" is the perfect location, around the corner from the blocked off restaurant strip, and around the other corner to the best section of the Old Wall to walk upon, (and not hanging over the loudest tourist strips;-)) Everything within the old wall is close... but there are better and worse locations, and hotel H177 is 'ideal'. They have a lovely small dipping pool inside and a gorgeous rooftop area on the 3rd floor for all guests. My favorite room locations are those on the 3rd floor as the rooftop makes an incredible porch! The service was excellent and I will always go to this hotel in the future when visiting Campeche.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
947 posts
545 reviews
7. Re: 2 days in campeche

Hi everyone,

Travelready00, I was just reading this forum. Thanks for the head up about the Socaire. Would not even consider it! Bad customer service. Keep up sharing your experience, as it helps other travelers.

My husband and I are planning a month long trip for the next coming winter, in the Yucatan Peninsula as well. Will definitely check your other hotel suggestion. Did you rent a car? If so, how was your experience?

Thanks again.

Reply to: 2 days in campeche
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Campeche
More Campeche Topics