We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Heading to St. Maarten next week, staying at the Flamingo Beach..restaurants, inexpensive, it is my husband, and 15, 19 year old...we will be renting a car, so we would not mind trying something typical..hole in the wall? suggestions?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Zee Best - http://www.zeebestrestaurant.com/

Breakfast & Lunch

La Croissanterie - www.best-stmartin.com/detail.asp…

Breakfast & Lunch

Pizza Pasta Trattoria - Maho Italian

Lolos in Grand Case and other places.

Marks Place - Bush Rd.

Hilmas Windsor Castle

…nytimes.com/2004/12/08/dining/08BEAC.html

Cheri's Cafe - Maho

http://www.cheriscafe.com/

http://www.sxm-restaurants.com/map.html

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

For sure go to a Lolo (sort of a BBQ) in Grande Case. The Skys the Limit is a popular one..it's a lot of fun.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

right on the main road near the bridge is the simpson bay fish market which has 3 or4 local restaurants. Try Johnny B's place called Jackfish for fresh fish.

the others are good too

Edited: 10 June 2010, 18:02
St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Also if you are renting a car, in Orleans there is a great local restaurant called Yvette's. closed on Wednesday

great place

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147346-d1…

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Wonderful...thank you so much for your help..Now i have another question, how about phone service, where can i get a sim card?

And are there any free wi-fi restaurants, ie, starbucks?

California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Poulet d'Orleans is also in the French Quarter, and has amazing food and good prices.

Chicago
Level Contributor
371 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Not only are the restaurants great that they have mentioned - I love to shop in their grocery stores for the other meals. I love all of the cheeses, and European goodies. When we go to both St Martin with St Thomas - we make sure that we go to St Martin first to do our grocery shopping. We love Lee's fish place across the street from Royal Palm. I understand that they have added some places right there at Flamingo which are getting good reviews too. The Low- lows are great too.

If you are over at Dawn Beach - there is a great little restaurant there too right on the beach - Busby's.

For a real treat IMO - go in the morning to Atlantico French Bakery - between the airport and Simpson Bay and on the right side of the road- yummy fresh pastries and bread and they do sandwiches too. They open rather early and close late in the afternoon - maybe around 3. If you are first timer to this area - here are a couple of thing to be aware of - they do have rush hour- over the mountain - we avoid this and go the other way. There is a bridge which periodically raises to let boats out of the bay - not a bother unless you are trying to get to the airport.

The day trips on the water offered at Flamingo are fun and IMO reasonable.

Be a smart traveler and make sure your children are wise too. Dress casually and do not look so much like a tourist - makes you a target. Leave your jewelry at home. Use the safe available to you and don't go wandering around at night alone.

If you are looking for good buys in beach clothes - check out Rimas in Philipsburg

We will be at the Flamingo for two weeks in July - have been going for years and love it there! WE do one expensive night - Claudes Mini Supper CLub in Marigot which is IMO a buffet to die for in - includes everything!. We live outside of chicago and this would be considered inexpensive here- don't remember but think it was close to $50 a person but it is so good that we will go at least twice while we are there- ask the locals at the Flamingo if you are interested - they can give you details.

Sorry to be so wordy but we love this island in case you have not noticed.

St. Maarten-St...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

no starbucks on the island but several free wi fi places in the Simpson bay area.

buccaneer beach bar

Jimbos retsaurant in the simpson bay yacht club

Cappucino Diner

Top Carrot Simpson bay yacht Club

McDonald's

Sunset bar and grill by the airport

Karakter's Beach bar

La Sucriere French Bakery and shop

Bagel House

as far as a phone, I suggest you rent a phone from Sharon Harris. it is much cheaper than using your own phone.

http://www.queenofsxm.com

she is very reliable and it is the cheapest way to go

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St. Maarten-St. Martin
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

If your at the Flamingo, as you enter the drive on the left corner go up the stairs to Alexanders. Great local very inexpensive food. Every thing from breakfast in the morning, burgers for lunch and everything for dinner. There is also Toppers on the sea right at the Flamingo. Buccaneer beach bar has good low price food. Chech out sunset beach bar for a thrill of watching the plains land and tack off. Good food resonably priced too.

You can get a sim card or rent a phone from Sharron at:

www.queenofsxm.com

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: st.maarten-inexpensive eats?

Thanks for this additional info. And i totally agree, we've been to Chicago a few times, were there 2 weeks ago, Itasca, as well as Gibson's...so i hear you. As far as wordy..the more you write the more i learn..it is well appreciated.