We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata and Krabi

wales
Level Contributor
816 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Kata and Krabi

Hi Weve booked our flights to and from Phuket airport for Jan 16 and I am thinking of staying in Kata for 9 nights and Krabi (railay beach) for 9 nights and travel to the airport by car from Krabi which I understand will take aprox 3 hours.

My question is is there enough of a difference in both areas to warrant doing both or should I just pick one as a base and travel about.

We are both late to early 50s, do not like loud music late nights and drinking, prefer to lay on the beach , not quiet area as we like visiting local shops eating out ,visit local markets take a few day trips out and of course a couple of boat trips.

Is there anywhere else I should consider before I make hotel reservations

Thanks Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
522 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata and Krabi

Hi

With 18 days I would suggest you do Bangkok 2-3 nights fly up to chaingmai for 5 nights from chaingmai fly to Phuket direct, stay in kata 5 nights - get car transfer to krabi for remaining time and fly back to Bangkok from krabi airport. 18 days just for beach IMHO is too much. Thailand have so much more to offers.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
wales
Level Contributor
816 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata and Krabi

Thanks but Ive already booked flights

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata and Krabi

In that case you could do kata beach with maybe khao Sok national park for a couple of nights and perhaps a few nights in Khao Lak ( north of phuket in Phangan nga province ) or a few nights in koh lanta to break up with krabi. You then can fly from krabi as planed.

What a shame you ask these questions after you booked your flights. 18 days in the same region and beach just far too long for my liking. Anyway which way you choose to do I wish you a happy & great trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata and Krabi

I'd do 5 nights in Railay and 4 in Ao Nang after for day trips and shops and more choice in eateries.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
wales
Level Contributor
816 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata and Krabi

Thanks for your suggestions I will have a look at these. I wish we could travel more in Thialand but it would be too much for my hubby.

6. Re: Kata and Krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2016, 10:45