We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

I recently made a booking at a hotel in Railay and the hotel offered me 1500THB per pax for airport transfer to their hotel. I find it very expensive! what do you think?

also, i have read mixed encounters about buying of return tickets. should i buy when i depart ao nang to go to railay? or only when i depart railay to return to ao nang?

it seems like for the former, i run the risk of having the ticket not recognised by the returning ferry. and for the latter, i risk getting ripped off by the returning ferry...

pls help!!

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

Take a taxi to Ao Nang for 600 Baht/vehicle and than by longtail boat for 100 Baht/pax or 200 for return. There is no ferry boat. Another option the airport shuttle for 150 Baht/pax.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 20:58
Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

hi, thank you for your reply. should i buy the return tailboat ticket when i depart Ao Nang? or only when i am departing Railay?

also, i actually paid the hotel 1500thb per pax for airport transfer.. and it is only one-way. have i been ripped off badly?

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

I would say yes you have been ripped off badly, considering the trip can be done for 300 baht

I took the shuttle for 150 from the airport to ao nang, took about 45 min and they can drop u off right where u catch the longtails

The longtail will be 150 baht, its literally a 10 min ride

There is no pre purchasing of long tail tickets...its super casual... theres longtails all over all the beaches (ao nang, tonsai and railay) and u just walk up to a boat and they wait till theres enougj people to make the trip worthwhile (normally takes 10-15 min)

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

Hi

OP are you arriveing in Phuket or Krabi airport.

If Phuket good price if krabi too much.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

Hi,

"There is no pre purchasing of long tail tickets...its super casual... theres longtails all over all the beaches (ao nang, tonsai and railay) and u just walk up to a boat and they wait till theres enougj people to make the trip worthwhile (normally takes 10-15 min)"

you mean when i am departing from Railay i just look around and walk up to a tailboat and purchase a return ticket?

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

i am departing from krabi airport. because it was offered by the hotel so i thought it was hassle-free, and i would also expect a more luxurious ride (cosy, comfort and convenience). since this is my honeymoon i didn't think too much about the price.. hmm..

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

hi

just checking some other transfer CO krabi to Railay your price does not seem out of line with the others

but should include long tail boat or speed boat to Railay.

do a google search and check prices to ease your mind.

Mentioned in this post
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

Hi Ayuyinn, not sure if you have left for your honeymoon yet, however just to clarify a few things. You are not necessarily getting ripped. Going via Ao Nang via a taxi that you have either sort yourself at the airport, or in advance (Krabi Shuttle etc), you will go to the ticket booth at the corner of the beach where the main street does a 90 degree turn. You will wait for the boat to have enough people. You will get your feet wet and handle your own luggage. Best with a backpack and shorts. At Railay you will arrive at West Railay and again carry your own luggage through the water.

If you pay the larger sum you will go via Ao Nam Mo. Resorts like Railay Bay have a compound there. They will take you out to the end of the pier on an electric car. They will have their own long tail boat that will leave just with you. When you get to Railay you will arrive at East Railay. If the tide is low, they will come out with a tractor and trailer to take you to shore. Then another electric car to reception. If you are staying at Rayavadee the boat is a very flash speed boat with a bow ladder and a very flash tractor and trailer.

You get what you pay for, and if it is your honeymoon I think you have made the right choice.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Krabi Shuttle
Krabi Shuttle
519 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
2,360 Reviews
Railay Beach, Thailand
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
2,063 Reviews
Railay Beach, Thailand
9. Re: getting to Railay beach from Ao Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 09:46