We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we skip Railay Beach?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Should we skip Railay Beach?

My wife and I will be in Thailand for our second visit in April. Last time we visited Bangkok and Phuket (for 10 days so we explored lots of that island). This time we are spending 4 days in Bangkok then 7 days on Koh Samui (Choengmon Beac). We have four days left and had intended to splurge on Rayavadee resort. However I have now been told that Railay Beach isn't the paradise it was as the beach is anything but idyllic with lots of day trippers. Enjoying this beautiful beach was something we really fancied doing. Now I'm wondering if we should pay less at Railay (say at Bhu Nga Thani) so that we wouldn't feel we'd wasted money or find somewhere else in the Krabi area and visit Railay Beach as two among the hordes of day trippers. Does anyone have any views on this and any suggestions as to where we'd get the wow factor we were looking for at the end of our trip at Rayavadee? We were looking at about 12,000 Baht a night at Rayavadee and that would be our upper limit. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

Please be advised, the Rayavadee is not on Railay Beach, but on Phra Nang Beach. It is much less crowded than Railay and you can always retreat into the privacy at Rayavadee. Sure, there are day trippers, as well, but much less than at Railay.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

Thanks for that. The warning I got was on the thread I link to below and did correctly say it was Phra Nang - my mistake. But the poster still said Phra Nang was spoiled by trippers:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…53977877

Edited: 11 November 2013, 20:17
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

Day trippers would be gone by 4-5pm so leaving you with a glorious beach to enjoy the hour or two remaining till sunset. Alternatively, if you wake early, the beach is yours till 9-10am when the day trippers arrive.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

We are still struggling a little over our choice of Rayavadee as beside the beach crowding problems during the day, though I take on board Andessen's view that outside these hours it's idyllic, some reviewers on here have said that late night noise from other hotels affects part of the complex. If we decided to base ourselves somewhere from where we could visit Railay which other properties in the Krabi area are worth looking at. We'd like a bit of a wow factor and would pay up to 12,000 Baht a night.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

I don't see any in Ao Nang, but you could try Amari Vogue Krabi or Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve located on Tub Kaek Beach some 30 minutes away from Ao Nang.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

Thanks Andessen. Phulay Bay is very nice, but double the max we wanted to pay (over 20,000 Baht per night). Amari Vogue looks interesting as do Tubkaak Krabi and Sheraton Krabi. Any better located than the others?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

ttt

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

Railay beach have something special. Even if its many guest in daytime its still worth a visit.

To sit on the beach at sunset is awesome and to go up early and look at sunset is a great way to start your day.

Railay is very relaxing and worth to spend 1-2 nights, that is enough.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

Amari Vogue and Tubkaak Resort are adjacent if I recall. Amari Vogue is fantastic if you like peace and serenity and stunning scenery.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we skip Railay Beach?

We are now leaning away from Railay for a few reasons. Only two resorts appeal to us. Rayavadee is beautiful but very expensive. It would seem that its beach is a tourist magnet during the day and that their noise spills into the resort and its pool area. Also several reviews mention noise from adjoining properties until the early hours and mosquitos which generally love feasting on my wife and I. The other place that appealed was Bhu Nga Thani which is way cheaper, but does not sit on the best beach and has a few reviews that alarmingly mention food poisoning, some from regular reviewers. Also we do not fancy wading ashore potentially having to carry heavy suitcases and with four days in Krabi we are not sure Railay would "entertain" us for that long. We are now considering staying in the Nong Thale area and maybe visiting Railay as a day trip. Is this feasible, how would it be best to do it and would it be worthwhile or would the crowds spoil it? Your further generous advice or comments would be very welcome!