We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Dear Friends,

We will by flying in and out of Phuket in November and plan to spend a few days on that island as well as Ko Phi Phi and Ko Lanta. I would also like to see the Railey/Tonsai area where my son has base jumped. Would you recommend day trips from one of the islands? If so, which one? Is a day trip a good idea or would an overnight be advisable? I appreciate your thoughts.

Skis & Songs

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
1 review
1. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Why don't you ask your son as your most reliable source of information ? As you said, he's been there !

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Not sure where you head to after Koh Lanta but I would head back to Ao Nang, about 2-3hrs by minivan. Base yourself in AoNang with plenty of dining/bar choices and day trip (15 minute longtail boat) to Railay Beach.

From Ao Nang you can either fly out of Krabi airport on 3hrs minivan back to Phuket.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 05:17
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
160 posts
3. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Thanks, BobnJanette. We would probably head back to Phuket. Klongmuang, thanks. My son has never been to the other islands. Question - how different is Railey than Ko Phi Phi of Ko Lanta or Phuket? While I would like to see RaileyTonsai, perhaps it it too much for this trip.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Railay is just a beach, although when the hoards of day trippers leave it is a very nice beach.

If you can spare 2-3 days I would break the minivan journey from Lanta back to Phuket half way at AoNang. Great longtail day trip stepping off place for island snorkeling trips.

Our 16 day trip report to the very same places is documented here...

bobandjanette.com/trip-reports/phuket-phi-ph…

Happy & safe travels

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
160 posts
5. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Dear Bob N Janette,

Well, I was about to cross off Railey as just another beach, but then I saw your pictures. Spectacular. Any thoughts on ferrys vs. speedboats in the islands? Also it looks like you just took it day by day rather than advanced reservations. Is that right?

Thanks,

S & S

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
160 posts
6. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

Also, I note there are some day and overnight tours of Phi Phi Don departing from Phuket. Would you recommend them? If we journey to Phi Phi Don ourselves, are there tours of the island we can book when we land etc.?

Thanks again.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

We traveled in November so good weather for the region. I don't particularly like the day trip to Phi Phi and prefer a 2 night stay to give a free day to do local island tours. All easily arranged on arrival. Shared long tail boats are very economical.

Speedboats can be quite rough over long distances. We took one from Koh Lanta to ko Rok Nok for a snorkelling day trip. Long distance but worth it. As we weren't traveling peak season we booked as we went.

We normally just take the ferry to Phi Phi as we are never in a hurry with our travels. More comfortable, cheaper but slower than the speedboats. Tip - the back of the speedboat is more comfortable than the front.

Booking tours in Thailand is very easy and can often be arranged the evening prior which is handy for sea based adventures as sometimes the weather can be unpredictable.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 04:23
8. Re: Day trip to Railey from Other Islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 09:46