We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

I have purchased a combined train and bus ticket from Bangkok to Krabi.

I need to get from there to Railay. Please can someone advise the simplest way?

I have looked at a number of other forums and most seem to suggest going via Ao Nang. Is this really the simplest way? Also each post seems to raise as many questions as they answer including:

If getting to Railay from Ao Nang can I get a bus to Ao Nang directly from the bus station I am dropped off at in Krabi?

If not, what bus station do I need and how to get between the two?

Otherwise, how much would a taxi cost from Krabi to Ao Nang?

At Ao Nang, where do we get the boat from and will the bus drop us near by? Lots of posts just say "the beach". Specifics would really help me.

Finally, earlier at Surat Thani, do the buses go from the train station? Some posts have suggested you have to first make your way to another bus station. This seems crazy to me on a joint rail/bus ticket.

I really appreciate anyone who can walk me through all the steps! I leave on the train tomorrow night.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

You really have no choice but to go to Ao Nang as that is where the long tails run from to get to Railay. Ii think you can get them from Krabi Town as well (well you used to be able to, but it is longer and more expensive). If you head to the main street through Krabi Town there are songhthaew buses that say Ao Nang on them (very easy to find), I think the bus (f you ask) will drop you near the pier for the longtails to Railay.

Usually you will need to go into Surat Thani City from the train station which is actually 14km from town in Phun Phin to get the buses to Krabi.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

Thanks for that.

Am travelling with luggage so was hoping for some kind of joined up transport system.

Is it easy to get between the train and bus stations in surat thani?

Thanks again

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

If your coming from surat to krabi on one of the large coaches you`ll stop at the out of town bus station. Little silver pickup trucks will then take you to AoNang.

At the surat side I guess it might be these guys http://www.phantiptravel.com/

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

Thanks for that.

It is good to know what to look out for.

5. Re: getting to Railay having travelled to Krabi by train/bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 09:48