We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Railay

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Railay

Hello all, I need some help getting information as to how I can get from Krabi to Railay beach.

We are arriving by boat from Koh Samui and I was told by the hotel that the only place where I would arrive is the Don Sak pier at Suratthani and that transfer is 5000 THB per person!

This seems very expensive to me, is this correct? Is there any other way to get to Railay beach?

Any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Railay

Krabi to Railay ??

By Krabi i assume you mean Ao Nang, as that is where you will get the longtail boat from. Prior to that you have around a 150km transfer from Suratthani and if that is by private minivan i suppose the price may just be that.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Railay

Hi there, thank you for your reply...so Ao Nang is the best/closest option for Railay beach?

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Railay

Certainly the closest and easiest although the big ferry that goes to Phi Phi pulls into the bay but that still means climbing down into a longtail to get to the beach.

Unless you have prior arrangements for staying at Railay maybe think about basing yourself at Ao Nang as your are in a catchment area with Railay as the only way in and out is by longtail. Quite easy to nip round there for the day but expensive for a longtail in the dark hours.

I usually hire a kayak and paddle round to it, make a day of it.

Good luck

Eddie

Edited: 11 January 2013, 06:02
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Railay

Private transfer from Don Sak to Ao Nang cost about 3000 baht. It is risky with the mini-bus because some may be unauthorized and even those that are take a long time on an unpleasant journey where you are like sardines in a van.

Furthermore, some can claim to go direct to Ao Nang but in fact only go as far as Krabi Town where they demand for extra before going to Ao Nang. Save time and trouble with a private transfer. With that, I do recommend http://www.krabishuttle.com/. There are others which can do the job too of course.

From Ao Nang it is 15 minutes on a Longtail Boat (water taxi) to Railay at 100 baht per way.

Pattaya, Thailand
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Railay

Go to Ao Nang @ Nopparat beach then take the longtail boat go to railay beach cost about THB 100.-/person/way.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Railay

Thank you everyone! I have changed my ferry to drop us off at Ao Nang beach from Koh Samui! Phew! So confusing!

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Railay

Got me confused also Anna :-)

Your ferry cant drop you at Ao Nang coming from Samui, its on the opposite side of the penninsula. Samui in the Gulf of Thailand, Krabi is on the Andaman Sea.

Your ferry from Samui will drop you at Don Sak then its overland to Krabi (Ao Nang) approx 150kms, then you get a longtail boat around the headland to Railay.

You might want to look at google earth to get your bearings.

Stay cool :-)

Eddie

Edited: 11 January 2013, 21:04
8. Re: Getting to Railay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 12:48