We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Railay

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Railay

Hi,

I would like to go to Phuket or Krabi in early June. Yeah, ad-hoc plan. I've been to Phuket and I think the best beach there was Karon. Krabi is a bit too quiet for me and I didn't see any good beach in town. I have to do the island hopping to see those great beaches. I'm not sure if those beaches have any affordable hotel to stay cos the island hopping is very short and quite tiring..

So while searching for good beach where I can stay, I stumbled upon a place name Railay. Never heard of it before. Anyone have been there and is it affordable to stay there?

Helpp pleaseee!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
357 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Railay

I don't think Karon is a nice beach. Pansea, Kata Noi or Surin are much better for me. Railay is a very nice beach which is very close to Ao Nang in Krabi. You may head to Railay only by longtail boat. I have never stayed but as far as I know there're some affordable bungalows and hotels in Railay. Enjoy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: Railay

We just got back from Railay,it is basically 3 beaches on a headland surrounded by amazing cliffs,perhaps only Phi Phi can compare in beauty,truely beautiful.Seemed to be lots of hotels on 2 of the beaches but the best beach and hotel (Rayavadee) is on the middle beach,very expensive but worth it.If you stay on Railay you can easily walk between the 3 beaches so dont worry too much about which one you stay on.We just ate at Rayavadee so didnt realy see what the night life was like,I would imagine it is not a party place but has a few bars/restaurants etc.Activities wise there was alot of rock climbing going on,treking and boat trips to phi phi and other islands,for abit of life you can go over to Ao Nang.Railay is very beautiful.

kl, malaysia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Railay

yati suzari,

i will be going to krabi and stay at railay bay resort. will get back to u on the resort n railay itself.

=)

saya rasa saya kenal kamu..

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
157 reviews
4. Re: Railay

I'm also considering Railay but I'm conflicted on the latest comments and traveler photos I've seen. Based on youtube videos and reviews that are more than a year old, it looks amazing with white sand beaches and clear turquoise water. However, I have now have been looking through the Railay hotel reviews and people seem to be commenting that there's smelly trash everywhere and it's overrun by tourists. I also noticed a lot of the uploaded traveler photos show all the beachfront as dark and muddy (as if flooded). I was considering going this May. Can anyone please report on how the conditions are now (within the past 2 months, FEB/MAR 2013 ?)

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Railay

We've just got back from spending a few days at Railay. The scenery and beach is amazing, which is why everyone wants to go there. However the accommodation is overpriced for what you get.

Quick overview- Railay is a very small peninsula that you can only get to by longtail from Ao Nang or Krabi Town. There are 4 beaches in the area- West Railay which is beautiful, most widely used and where the majority of the resorts are; East Railay which is just mangrove flats (not even a beach); Tonsai which is next to West Railay but only accessible by longtail from Railay or Ao Nang; or Phranang Beach- absolutely amazing but overrun by tourists.

As for staying there, the consensus seems to be it's overpriced for what you get, and under-performs in expectations. We stayed at Railay Bay Resort (the 2nd most expensive resort?) and the service was ordinary. There is a slight smell of sewerage everywhere you go on Railay- some worse than others.

The reasons to stay at Railay- you get to enjoy the beach when all the day trippers go. Having breakfast or dinner overlooking the stunning West beach is worth it, but you could equally stay at an East-side resort and just dine at a West restaurant for dinner.

Railay is a mainly young-person's area, for lounging on the beach, rock climbing or taking advantage of island trips. There are not as many luxuries as in other places, so if you just want to lounge by a pool, then I wouldn't bother staying at Railay. But if you want to wake up to resorts that step out directly onto a beautiful beach (even if you pay for the privilege), then it may be worth it for you.

Hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
157 reviews
6. Re: Railay

Thanks for your insights Peter!

I realized after more research and digging, that the images I was seeing were of East Railay. I have booked at Sand Sea resort in West Railay, considering the short amount of time we have, so that we may take advantage of a full day's activities on Railay without worrying about shuttling back/forth from Ao Nang. Any recommendations or tips for island hopping tours in May? Long-tail vs. large boat, Maya bay vs closer islands, late afternoon/evening snorkel?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
410 posts
128 reviews
7. Re: Railay

Thanks Peter for your Railay information.

Have you walk around Railay? How long is the trek between West, east railay, phra nang beach and also the viewpoint? Do you have any photos on railay road and trek to share for my May planning as well? Thanks in advance.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Railay

We didn't get out on any day trips to islands. but there are several operators at Railay that offer both speed boats and longtails to nearby islands. Hopefully someone else may be able to provide some more information on day trips?

Railay is amazingly small. We didn't realise until we got there how close everything is! We stayed at Railay Bay Resort, and there was a path direct from East to West that took no more than 5 minute stroll. Phranang beach took us 10 minutes to walk there. This included us walking from the West side, then South past Rayavadee resort and following the footpath all the way around. From most places at Railay, I wouldn't think it would take more than 15 mins to Phranang.

As for the view point... The start of the track is on the way to Phranang, but it is a very steep climb. I saw the bottom and decided against it. You don't need climbing equipment, but it is a steep scramble that you will need proper shoes for, not just thongs/flip-flops/jandals.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
410 posts
128 reviews
9. Re: Railay

Thanks Peter for your brief description on Railay distance between west, east, phranang & viewpoint tips. It does provide me an idea for Railay planning with careful time planning. Cheers!!!

10. Re: Railay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 09:45